I currently have a 29 gallon planted tank that houses
7 neon tetras
5 guppies
7 platy fry/juveniles
10+ guppy fry
30+ cherry shrimp
1 amano shrimp
2 nerite snails

I had a lot more guppies, but I forgot to plug the heater back in after water change, temperature dropped really fast to 50 degrees, and lost around half of them including some neons. The rest are doing good and I got more neons to replace the ones that I lost and everything seems fine. However, I want to switch up my stocking. I've had guppies and platys for about a year and while I still like them (still weill keep just moving into my 10 gallon dirted tank) I want to try something else. I've had pretty good growth from my plants (dwarf sag, jungle val, cryptocoryne, and giant duckweed) and the shrimp are doing amazing, so I think I'm skilled enough to try something more intermediate.

Bolivian rams or German blue rams are 2 fish that I think would make good centerpiece fish, but dont know if a pair or single would work best.
My water parameters change during the seasons, colder times my gh is around 12 while during summer when it rains a lot gh is around 7.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd like to read them.

Idkitsathrowaway

That's a lot of guppies. When you move them to the 10 it will be over stocked. I'd have a very max 12 guppies in a 10. That's asuming Dayly changes and very close observation the quality. Don't let them breed more or don't save the fry you find.

Upvote 0

Roman96

That's a lot of guppies. When you move them to the 10 it will be over stocked. I'd have a very max 12 guppies in a 10. That's asuming Dayly changes and very close observation the quality. Don't let them breed more or don't save the fry you find.
I've kept lots of guppies in a 10 gallon, key is water quality. It will be heavily planted plus 2 50%, water changes per week. Excess fry will be taken to my LFS.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

Glad you got a plan

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

so will you still have neons and platie in the 29?

You could look into sparkling gourami, florida flag fish, Gold, Cherry, Odessa and other small barbs.

Upvote 0

Roman96

so will you still have neons and platie in the 29?

You could look into sparkling gourami, florida flag fish, Gold, Cherry, Odessa and other small barbs.
Yes, but the platys will be moved to the 10 with the guppies. Neons will be staying though.

Florida flag fish can go with shrimp? I like odessa barbs and the gold ones, but I'm looking for more of a centerpiece. I plan on having 2 schools of fish (neons and something else, could be the barbs if they're shrimp safe) a centerpiece, shrimp and a siamese algae eater.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Sorry, I forgot about your shrimp. Honestly, I don't know of many fish that would be safe. the only thing that I can be sure won't eat fish are ottos and probably hatchetfish. I never had shrimp FYI

Upvote 0

Roman96

Sorry, I forgot about your shrimp. Honestly, I don't know of many fish that would be safe. the only thing that I can be sure won't eat fish are ottos and probably hatchetfish. I never had shrimp FYI
Thanks for the input. It may be a better option to just move my shrimp into the 10 gallon and keep the guppies and platys in the 29.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Roman96
Replies
Views
KristenLD
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies