• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylo ren

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay so i cycled my tank with plants and (accidental) bladder snails, and API quick start, i just got my first fish today he's a very tiny ryukin goldfish. this is the tank i have ( ) i also added an extra internal filter and a heater + thermometer.

some people on here have said the measurements for my tank ( 30" x 12" x 18" / 76.2 cm x 30.48 cm x 45.72 cm ) mean it is more like 28 gal? but i think the glass / or acrylic idk is just thick? but im not sure

what i wanted to know is, could i get another small fantail goldfish in a week or so? i definitely would be willing to upgrade in the future at some point but this was the biggest tank i could get right now and i don't have any money left. mainly i am really worried about overstocking or stunting their growth in any way. so, could one ryukin goldfish and one general fantail goldfish live comfortably in this tank for a couple of years? or should i not get another fish?

also the only sinking fish food they had at the store is cichlid pellets are they okay to feed to my goldfish?

also when i stop using the API quick start will my beneficial bacteria all die? it says on the bottle to use it every time you do a water change but it's expensive and i know not everyone uses them every time they do a water change?

i attached a photo so you can see how big he is

Attachments

Last edited:

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you're planning to upgrade in the future, you may get more fish (Goldfish).

However, I would stick to this rule:
1 Goldfish = 20 gallons.
Goldfish are quite messy when it comes to eating.

Just don't overdo it, 3 juvenile Goldfish would be my maximum in that tank size. When they mature, you'll have to upgrade them to a 60 gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
kylo ren

kylo ren

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're planning to upgrade in the future, you may get more fish (Goldfish).

However, I would stick to this rule:
1 Goldfish = 20 gallons.
Goldfish are quite messy when it comes to eating.

Just don't overdo it, 3 juvenile Goldfish would be my maximum in that tank size. When they mature, you'll have to upgrade them to a 60 gallon.
3 is a lot yes, i was thinking only 2 but thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom