20 Gallon Tank Stocking for 20?

flopperfrog
Member
ive had a 20 gallon high up and running for about 4 months and 2 weeks, and i was wondering if i could stock it with these
(i have cherry shrimp)
1 female betta
10 pygmy corydoras
that would be all, is that overstocked? would there be a problem with the cherry shrimp and betta, or the betta and pygmies?
 
Ghelfaire
Member
That would work. I would add the betta last.
 
Cooperman411
Member
Some bettas ignore the shrimp, some don't. Make sure there's plenty of hiding places, moss etc. As they breed, the tiny ones may or may not stand a chance - but definitely improved if there's plenty of cover. My betta will attack any shrimp that are red, orange, or yellow, but completely ignores blue/clear/brown.
 
  • Thread Starter
flopperfrog
Member
Cooperman411 said:
Some bettas ignore the shrimp, some don't. Make sure there's plenty of hiding places, moss etc. As they breed, the tiny ones may or may not stand a chance - but definitely improved if there's plenty of cover. My betta will attack any shrimp that are red, orange, or yellow, but completely ignores blue/clear/brown.
Is there any way to tell if a betta is going to be chill or not?
 
Ghelfaire
Member
flopperfrog said:
Is there any way to tell if a betta is going to be chill or not?
Unfortunately no. My female was great with the red cherry shrimp in her tank for months before she killed 2 out of nowhere.
She even managed to kill a few ghost shrimp (I thought they would be safer)
 
  • Thread Starter
flopperfrog
Member
Ghelfaire said:
Unfortunately no. My female was great with the red cherry shrimp in her tank for months before she killed 2 out of nowhere.
She even managed to kill a few ghost shrimp (I thought they would be safer)
hm, do you think perhaps bc its a bigger tank they wont run into each other as much and therefore the cherry shrimp wont really get killed? maybe i can get a betta that somebody didnt want so they know their personality?
 
Ghelfaire
Member
No the ghost shrimp she killed were in a 55g that I moved her into.
Adopting a betta can be good but they usually come with a lot of health problems because they were kept in tiny vases or tanks with poor water. Just be prepared to deal with fin rot/melt, them being overweight and other issues that might lead to a shorter lifespan.
 
Cooperman411
Member
On Reddit Aquaswap there are often healthy happy big-tank betta fish that people are giving away because of moves or - and this is how I got mine - he kept eating the guy's prize yellow shrimp! That said, a betta can be completely chill for months on end and then one day, the great shrimp massacre of 2020 happens. I say start with a few of the sub-$1 ghost shrimp and if they survive, add in some neos - like 2 or 3. And if they make it a while, you might be safe to add more. But I say get shrimp that blend in with the substrate and decor. I have black gravel so the brown and blue shrimp are harder to see.
 
  • Thread Starter
flopperfrog
Member
Cooperman411 said:
On Reddit Aquaswap there are often healthy happy big-tank betta fish that people are giving away because of moves or - and this is how I got mine - he kept eating the guy's prize yellow shrimp! That said, a betta can be completely chill for months on end and then one day, the great shrimp massacre of 2020 happens. I say start with a few of the sub-$1 ghost shrimp and if they survive, add in some neos - like 2 or 3. And if they make it a while, you might be safe to add more. But I say get shrimp that blend in with the substrate and decor. I have black gravel so the brown and blue shrimp are harder to see.
i already have cherry shrimp 00-00 is that bad?
 

Random Great Thread

Saltwater aquarium start-up series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Latest threads

Top Bottom