Stocking for 160 and 50 litre

RandomNewUser

Hi
So I am new at this forum, as well as fishkeeping in general.
My old 50 litre aquarium was wayyyy too small for my fish so I bought a bigger 160 litre tank.
The choice and number of fish was my first mistake (never blindly trust salesmen...).
In the new aquarium I am planning to have my:
-2 gouramies (1 female, 1 male)
-6 mollies (1 adult male, 2 adult female, 3 fry)
-11 female guppies (5 adult, 6 fry)
-2 corydoras catfish
And on the 50 litre tank:
-3 male guppy fry
-6 cherry shrimp

If the male gourami bullies the female too much then I will move him in the 50 litre tank but in the four months I have had all my fish now in the small tank he never showed any signs of aggression (she has plenty of room to hide)
So would that be a reasonable stocking? Or is it still to much?

AquaticQueen

Welcome to the forum.
Doesn't sound overstocked to me as long as you watch your nitrates. What kind of gouramis are they?
Corys should be kept in groups of at least 6. I would get 4 more corys to complete the school.
Are you planning on using the 50 litre for a fry tank?

Upvote 0

RandomNewUser

Welcome to the forum.
Doesn't sound overstocked to me as long as you watch your nitrates. What kind of gouramis are they?
Corys should be kept in groups of at least 6. I would get 4 more corys to complete the school.
Are you planning on using the 50 litre for a fry tank?
Thank you!
Then I will defenitely get 4 more corys. And no, I want to move my male guppies in the 50 litre tank so I don't get any more fry (I wanted only female guppies but I didn't think I through and of course they were pregnant)
I would also move the male molly but the tank is too small so better not and also because I have heared that only one molly is really not a good idea.
And the gouramies are more specific dwarf gouramies.
And of course I will watch the nitrates, I do test once, sometimes even twice a week. How often do you recommend water changes? Currently I am doing twice a week and 60-70% because the 50 litre is way overstocked.

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

Thank you!
Then I will defenitely get 4 more corys. And no, I want to move my male guppies in the 50 litre tank so I don't get any more fry (I wanted only female guppies but I didn't think I through and of course they were pregnant)
I would also move the male molly but the tank is too small so better not and also because I have heared that only one molly is really not a good idea.
And the gouramies are more specific dwarf gouramies.
And of course I will watch the nitrates, I do test once, sometimes even twice a week. How often do you recommend water changes? Currently I am doing twice a week and 60-70% because the 50 litre is way overstocked.
If you are referring to the 160 litre once it is set up, I would recommend figuring out your nitrate schedule and doing what works to keep nitrates at bay. Until you figure it out, a 50% weekly water change should suffice.

The dwarf gouramis will likely fight in the future as they mature and you may want to eventually move one of them to the 50 litre or rehome if they start to fight. This particular species of gourami can be very aggressive at times.

Upvote 0

RandomNewUser

If you are referring to the 160 litre once it is set up, I would recommend figuring out your nitrate schedule and doing what works to keep nitrates at bay. Until you figure it out, a 50% weekly water change should suffice.

The dwarf gouramis will likely fight in the future as they mature and you may want to eventually move one of them to the 50 litre or rehome if they start to fight. This particular species of gourami can be very aggressive at times.
Thank you very much! Then I will keep him in the 50 litre tank to not stress the female anymore. But can i leave a few guppies in the 50 litre tank also? Or will he be acting aggressive too? I didn't notice any aggression against guppies, he also doesn't chases them. At the moment he just cares a bit about the female and chases her sometimes around the tank.

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

Thank you very much! Then I will keep him in the 50 litre tank to not stress the female anymore. But can i leave a few guppies in the 50 litre tank also? Or will he be acting aggressive too? I didn't notice any aggression against guppies, he also doesn't chases them. At the moment he just cares a bit about the female and chases her sometimes around the tank.
You could leave them in the 50 litre ifhe isn't aggressive towards them, but be prepared to move them if he starts attacking the guppies.

Upvote 0

RandomNewUser

You could leave them in the 50 litre ifhe isn't aggressive towards them, but be prepared to move them if he starts attacking the guppies.
Thank you! I will closely monitore them!

Upvote 0

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom