Stocking Fluval Flex

LouisChallies

I have a Fluval Flex 123L (32.5 US Gallons) aquarium that has almost finished cycling. The tank is already quite heavily planted and I will be adding more plants in the coming weeks. I am focusing on plant growth so the tank will be regularly fertilised and CO2 will also be provided, hopefully ensuring fast plant growth which should help keep the water clean. I am using the standard filtration system but have added additional bio media. Here is my stocking list, I know this is quite a lot so am wanting some feed back. The Corys and Oto’s and Molly’s are non optional as they will be my cleanup crew!

1x Mated pair of Angels
2x Lyretail Molly’s
6x Sterbai Corydora’s
5x Otocinclus Catfish
10x Rummy Nose Tetra

I could potentially do without the pair of Angels though I would love these and the Tetras could be swapped out for a smaller variety as long as they won’t fit in the Angels mouths. I am aware Venezuela Cory’s are a bit smaller so this is also an option.

This is my first time posting so your constructive feedback would be great! :)

AcornTheBetta

LouisChallies said:
I have a Fluval Flex 123L (32.5 US Gallons) aquarium that has almost finished cycling. The tank is already quite heavily planted and I will be adding more plants in the coming weeks. I am focusing on plant growth so the tank will be regularly fertilised and CO2 will also be provided, hopefully ensuring fast plant growth which should help keep the water clean. I am using the standard filtration system but have added additional bio media. Here is my stocking list, I know this is quite a lot so am wanting some feed back. The Corys and Oto’s and Molly’s are non optional as they will be my cleanup crew!

1x Mated pair of Angels
2x Lyretail Molly’s
6x Sterbai Corydora’s
5x Otocinclus Catfish
10x Rummy Nose Tetra

I could potentially do without the pair of Angels though I would love these and the Tetras could be swapped out for a smaller variety as long as they won’t fit in the Angels mouths. I am aware Venezuela Cory’s are a bit smaller so this is also an option.

Maybe instead of the angels you could do a gourami?

jkkgron2

LouisChallies

jkkgron2 said:
Agreed! A group of 4 honey gouramis would look awesome!
Do you think if I didn’t have the Angels I could have the 4 Gourami’s as well as the other fish I mentioned?

Flyfisha

Hi LouisChallies,
Can I suggest another species of tetras. The rummy nose is a species more suited to long tanks . Even a 4 foot is a bit short for a species that swims continuously. Many other species of tetras swim stop start stop start . The rummy never stops.
They are not much different in size to many tetras it’s just the way they are on the go continuously.

Little ember tetras are a peaceful species.
The aggressive nature of some tetras might lead you to looking a Harlequin Rasboras for a schooling fish?

Thumps up to honey gourami from me. A male or two with 3 or 5 females perhaps?18455239-8A61-43D7-BBE7-2BC70C02777E.jpeg2A844C40-9E27-45C2-9F57-68ECC936AF4A.pngCAB39CBD-822A-4ED0-B614-7ED3F81DEBA6.jpeg

LouisChallies

Flyfisha said:
Hi LouisChallies,
Can I suggest another species of tetras. The rummy nose is a species more suited to long tanks . Even a 4 foot is a bit short for a species that swims continuously. Many other species of tetras swim stop start stop start . The rummy never stops.
They are not much different in size to many tetras it’s just the way they are on the go continuously.

Little ember tetras are a peaceful species.
The aggressive nature of some tetras might lead you to looking a Harlequin Rasboras for a schooling fish?

Thumps up to honey gourami from me. A male or two with 3 or 5 females perhaps?18455239-8A61-43D7-BBE7-2BC70C02777E.jpeg2A844C40-9E27-45C2-9F57-68ECC936AF4A.pngCAB39CBD-822A-4ED0-B614-7ED3F81DEBA6.jpeg
Hey, I appreciate your feedback and like the suggestion of the Ember Tetra. In your opinion, if I had 10 Ember Tetra, the 2 Molly’s, 6 Corys and 5 Oto’s would the tank still be large enough to accomodate 4 or so Gourami’s?

jkkgron2

LouisChallies said:
Hey, I appreciate your feedback and like the suggestion of the Ember Tetra. In your opinion, if I had 10 Ember Tetra, the 2 Molly’s, 6 Corys and 5 Oto’s would the tank still be large enough to accomodate 4 or so Gourami’s?
Yes! You could probably up the corys to 8 and add in 1 more gourami with that stocking :)

Flyfisha

Ottos can be ( are) a difficult fish to get established in any aquarium. For a number of reasons they are not a very satisfactory species. Lets say you need to buy 12 to get 5 to survive even if the tank is very established and stable and leave it at that. If you want to research why they die it’s about their ability to adjust to eating anything but fresh algae.
Perhaps skip the ottos altogether?

8 or more corydoras of the same species is a good thing to have swimming around, such a sweet attitude.

Although honey gourami swim slowly over all levels they are a surface ambush predator that likes to swim under floating plants waiting for insects. So yes they would take up the top level ( some of the time) Corydoras on the lowest level most of the time. Embers and mollies in the mid water ( or anywhere they want) .

The final stocking level is in my opinion more to do with what you want to look at than if it’s possible.
A very full tank is always possible but can look like a busy street not a pleasant playground.
What I am saying is just because you can fit a lot more fish in the tank does not mean you have to .

Its hard to explain until you see it for yourself.
imagine two fish from ten species in a tank. And then imagine 20 fish of the same species if you can?

A123

LouisChallies said:

1x Mated pair of Angels
2x Lyretail Molly’s
6x Sterbai Corydora’s
5x Otocinclus Catfish
10x Rummy Nose Tetra

The fish selection is quite good but instead of having angelfish why don't you try keeping golden rams they are attractive and won't be a problem as they don't get very large. I kept angelfish in a planted tank but I had the issue of them pulling out the stem plants so they weren't growing properly so if you want to keep angels just make sure if you have stem plants they are rooted properly.

LouisChallies

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think the Angels are now off the cards for a number of reasons. I will most likely replace the Rummy Nose’s with a smaller Tetra such as Ember Tetra which will now not be a problem due to not having the Angels. I am going to see how things go with the Oto’s - I am buying them from a pet store where I know they are fed Algae wafers also so hopefully they are accustomed to this already. Tossing up between a group of Gourami’s or Rams at the moment... I’ll have to keep pondering. Here is a photo of the tank, I am adding Pennywort to the left side this afternoon to help with water column nutrient uptake as well as some Stargrass which I will attempt to grow as a foreground plant in front of the driftwood. I was planning to not start dosing ferts until the tank is fully cycled to avoid Algae although I think I will start with a half dose of micro as well as macro nutrients :) 0EC84EDF-CAEE-4685-9C06-3E58B682ACED.jpegA7C96E1E-4BA8-48C3-BAB7-CC03944C24C3.jpeg

AcornTheBetta

LouisChallies said:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think the Angels are now off the cards for a number of reasons. I will most likely replace the Rummy Nose’s with a smaller Tetra such as Ember Tetra which will now not be a problem due to not having the Angels. I am going to see how things go with the Oto’s - I am buying them from a pet store where I know they are fed Algae wafers also so hopefully they are accustomed to this already. Tossing up between a group of Gourami’s or Rams at the moment... I’ll have to keep pondering. Here is a photo of the tank, I am adding Pennywort to the left side this afternoon to help with water column nutrient uptake as well as some Stargrass which I will attempt to grow as a foreground plant in front of the driftwood. I was planning to not start dosing ferts until the tank is fully cycled to avoid Algae although I think I will start with a half dose of micro as well as macro nutrients :) 0EC84EDF-CAEE-4685-9C06-3E58B682ACED.jpegA7C96E1E-4BA8-48C3-BAB7-CC03944C24C3.jpeg
Lol the testing focus! We all know that feeling. MUST GET EXACTLY 8 DROPS!

Flyfisha

This time I agree with the commonly held belief. Rams need an established tank of around 6 months of age.

They are not really suitable for a first fish.
Honey gourami in a group would be a much better fish in your situation. Do not get dwarf gourami as they have different personalities ( aggressive)

LouisChallies

Flyfisha said:
This time I agree with the commonly held belief. Rams need an established tank of around 6 months of age.

They are not really suitable for a first fish.
Honey gourami in a group would be a much better fish in your situation. Do not get dwarf gourami as they have different personalities ( aggressive)
I definitely would not be adding my ‘centrepiece’ fish for quite some time but I do think I will go with the Gourami either way. Nice yellow colour in the tank :)

LouisChallies

AcornTheBetta said:
Lol the testing focus! We all know that feeling. MUST GET EXACTLY 8 DROPS!
Hahaha! My lovely partner has been my water tester since I got the tank started and is very diligent! The black Molly’s are hers, salt and pepper! (Or Pepsi, Peptide, Pep... the list goes on).

Top Bottom