Stocking decisions!

idk

So I've got a tank a bit less than 50 gallons. Dimensions are 3ft by 1.5ft x 1.5ft. It's moderately planted at the moment but will be on the heavier planted side once I've got all the plants and they've grown out.
So far I have:
2x sparkling gourami, 5 x ottos, 2 x peppered corydoras, 11x ember tetras, 1 guppy and 2 Kribensis.

The kribs will be moving to my 4ft after they've grown a bit. I know I'm keeping some of the fish in low numbers but they've just moved from a 2ft (15gallon) so I will get some more sparklers, ottos and embers later. Going to rehome the peppered corys and get a school of black venezuela corydoras instead. Later I'm planning on getting some kuhli loaches as well.

I was wanting to add a school of clown panchax for a top dwelling inhabitant as they're meant to be peaceful and I like them. I've heard they should be fine with my gouramies as well. Then I've also thought about hatchetfish - particularly the marbled ones. They're meant to be more active. I tried looking for posts if they were compatible but I don't think many people have kept them together. Would it be a bad idea? Too many fish at the top or do you guys think it would be fine?

I was also wanting a school or shoal of middle dwelling fish. I was thinking maybe harlequins or phantoms but I don't know if I want more colour than the phantoms, a more contrasting colour to the embers or something smaller like the embers. Ideally I would also like them to be more on the tight schooling side for the visual effect.

Then I've also done a bit of broad research on apistogrammas. Since they stay at the bottom, I've read that they shouldn't bother my sparklers and vice versa. Apparently they're decently peaceful as well (unless spawning) but provided I split territories enough and have enough plants I think everyone should be fine. I was thinking about the Borelli opals or maybe the baenschi. I haven't really done any species specific research yet but is one 'better' than the other or is it just preference of colours? If I did get them some breeding activity would be cool. Would a trio be okay? a pair? more?

CrackerboxPalace

IMO once you've dealt with all the current fish, you'll be fully stocked. You could maybe add an apisto pair, but I'd be weary about putting them in a densely populated community tank. Maybe wait for another opinion about those.

I would definitely avoid adding any more schools. Something like this would be the maximum to me:

10x Venezuelan Cory
6x sparkling gourami
8x otocinclus
15x ember tetra
1x guppy
maybe 2x apistogramma

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jologs459
Replies
Views