Stocking? Cories, BN Plecos, Neon Tetras, Shrimp, and Betta?

orcalover1999

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with 7 corydoras (4 julii or false julii, 3 peppered). I am planning on adding more corycats soon, but I figured it would be a good idea to check and make sure the rest of my stocking seems sound.

Here's the plan:
- 10-12 corycats
- 2 BN Plecos
- 8-10 Ghost Shrimp
- 10 Neon Tetras

Aqadvisor puts the stocking level for this at about 75%.

My real question, however, is whether or not a male betta fish would be compatible with these fish. I love betta fish, but I do not want to put any lives in danger 0.0 I'm mostly concerned about the shrimp, but by the time the betta would be added (it would be added last), there will be lots of plants in the tank (right now, it's quite bare with 2 marimo moss balls, 2 java ferns, and an anubias nana plant. It's got other decorations as well, of course).

If a betta is not compatible with these, then what would be a good centerpiece fish?

And one last question - how often should fish be added to the aquarium? I can't find any answer online. Thanks! The aquarum specs should be in my profile, but if you need any other information in order to help, just ask!

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
orcalover1999 said:
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with 7 corydoras (4 julii or false julii, 3 peppered). I am planning on adding more corycats soon, but I figured it would be a good idea to check and make sure the rest of my stocking seems sound.

Here's the plan:
- 10-12 corycats
- 2 BN Plecos
- 8-10 Ghost Shrimp
- 10 Neon Tetras

Aqadvisor puts the stocking level for this at about 75%.

My real question, however, is whether or not a male betta fish would be compatible with these fish. I love betta fish, but I do not want to put any lives in danger 0.0 I'm mostly concerned about the shrimp, but by the time the betta would be added (it would be added last), there will be lots of plants in the tank (right now, it's quite bare with 2 marimo moss balls, 2 java ferns, and an anubias nana plant. It's got other decorations as well, of course).

If a betta is not compatible with these, then what would be a good centerpiece fish?

And one last question - how often should fish be added to the aquarium? I can't find any answer online. Thanks! The aquarum specs should be in my profile, but if you need any other information in order to help, just ask!
It depends on the personality of the betta.

orcalover1999

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's kind of what I've heard... thanks for the response!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas are better off in a species only tank. Honey gourami in a male female pair or a tri of male and 2 females. a pair of thick lipped gourami, some Pearl gourami which get to be 6 inches would really be nice. They are all peaceful with each other and other tank mates although whichever you decide just pick one kind. Like even 4 pearls. maybe 1 male and 3 female Alison

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
orcalover1999 said:
That's kind of what I've heard... thanks for the response!
Sorry couldn't help much. If you want to be safter get a female betta. They are less aggressive than the males. I got a male betta in my 60g community and he is as happy as he can be. Like I said it just depends on their personality.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A betta won't work in your setup. Not only is a betta not recommended for a community (and it doesn't matter what sex it is)but it's not temp compatible with the rest of your fish. I'd also think the height of the tank would be an issue for it.

I think if you were going to get a centerpiece fish, a dwarf gourami would be the better choice. The other gourami species mentioned would need warmer temps.

If you're going to keep both species of corys, I'd get at least 6 of each species and keep the temp at 73 max.

orcalover1999

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys! I'll probably go with a dwarf gourami then. Betta seems a bit risky, and if it has a different temperature requirement than the rest of the fish, then getting one would only seem dangerous to its health. I'll add more cories as soon as I'm able to get to the LFS too.
Does it matter how often I add fish? I'm not going to add a bunch of fish at once (wouldn't want to start a 'mini' cycle lol), but how often would be too often to add a fish (ie. weekly might be too often, but I don't know. That's why I'm asking).

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could wait a week in between additions but always checking the parameters for a couple of days afterwards.

orcalover1999

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh okay, thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom