30 Gallon Tank Stocking Compatibility

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello,

I recently purchased a 30 Gallon tank to transfer my fish from my 20 gallon. In the twenty gallon, but soon to be in the 30 gallon are, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 3 YoYo loaches, and 5 tiger barbs. I was wondering if adding two Bolivian rams would be suitable for a 30 gallon tank with that stocking? Maybe just one? If not, what other cichlids would work with this tank? Also, if there is any room left, I'd like to add some Kuhli loaches. How would those fair with the cichlids and other inhabitants?

Thanks for your time.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd say add one or two yoyo loaches and one or two more tiger barbs and call it a day. Loaches like to be in groups of at least 4 or 5 and the more tiger barbs, the more likely they'll keep their peskiness to themselves and leave your gourami alone.

-Lisa

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Could I perhaps add one more yoyo loach and a couple Kuhli Loaches? I've heard of loach tanks, and I would love to have them. I also am going to be running two Aqua clear 150gph filters. I've spoken with Carol on several occasions, and she has stated that loaches enjoy far more circulation.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hopefully Carol will chime in since she's the loach lady, but I think kuhlis and yoyos would be too much for a 30. The yoyos can get up to 6" and kuhlis get up to 4". They both really do need to be in groups of at least 4, so that's potentially 40" of fish sharing the same space, and the DG spends time near the bottom too.

Loaches.com says that kuhlis need to go into a well-established tank, and while you're just moving everything from the 20g (I assume), it wouldn't be considered well-established.

-Lisa

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm. Is there anything else I could possibly add with the extra yoyo loach? I'd rather not add more tiger barbs. Is there any other option. I was thing some otos, but what else would work? Thanks so much for the help.

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've decided to remove the tiger barbs to another tank, and I will probably purchase another yoyo loach and a bolivian ram. Any suggestions on what else to add to the tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom