stocking cichlids

1. j

jaysix79 Valued Member Member

i have many jewel cichlids right now and I'm trying to trade some of them with other cichlid. could i mix my jewel cichlids with electric yellow, electric blue or rusty to add some color in my tank?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't advise it. Jewels are not only much more aggressive than the fish you listed but they have very different water requirements. The Jewels are a riverine species that need softer acidic water with plenty of plants. The others are rift lake cichlids that require much harder alkaline water with extensive rockwork. I can help with other stocking alternatives but need to know what size the tank is?

3. OP
    OP
    j

i have 55 gallons tank with sump/filter/refugium about 20 gallon... i just want to add some color on my tank the reason i have many jewel is because they had babies.. over 100 survived (two pairs spawned) out of 500 babies. they are about 1/4 inch long and i don't know what to do with them lol

4. Nutter

Going from your other post you could probably put the juvies in the 20gal for a while. Maybe buying a larger second hand tank would be an option for growing them out to a size that you can trade them to LFS for store credit.

I would be rather apprehensive to add anything to the tank while it has two breeding pairs of Jewels in it. Even one breeding pair would make life hard on any other fish. The Jewels are very aggressive & when they breed that aggression will escalate quickly. If you were to keep just the two females or perhaps just one male you could look at adding somthing like a couple of African Blockhead (Steatocranus Casuarius) or a Clown Tilapia (Tilapia Joka). Many of the more aggressive american cichlids make good tank mates for Jewels IME with them. I've kept JD, Green Terrors, Salvini & Firemouths with Jewels before without promelms. Only the Salvini & the Firemouth would be suitable out of those four given the tank size. There would be many other mid size mildly aggressive american cichlids that would probably work with the Jewels as long as there was no breeding.

5. OP
    OP
    j

yeah I'm afraid of not breeding part.... i didn't want them to breed, but for some reason out of 4 fished they all paired up to each other. some luck i got. now I'm over populated.

let say.. most of the fries survived to adult hood.. they are almost half an inch long now and i have around 100 combined from both pairs.. lets say i get 20 survived to adult hood (full size). do uou think having many fishes in 55 gallons tank will make them not to spawn again? i know there is no exact answer, but is it more like not to happen again?..
    lets say in the future i have around 20 of this fishes or maybe ill mixed this with convicts (not sure if i should do this) if they do breed again would it be smart to just leave them all together with 20 other fishes so the other fishes can eat the babies or would this be a idea. ?

the reason i don't want them breeding is because, when two paired up and layed eggs they terrorized everyone. Before i moved two of my cichlids to the refugium. they where almost tailless from getting attacked from the first pair that had babies (the other two now have babies even b4 they can grown all their tail out). another reason is obvious i have to many of them and i don't want and cant afford to have more tank.

can i combine this jewels with convicts?

another problem i noticed today observing the first pair that had babies.. .they hate each other now. The male keep getting chased away from the babies he is not even eating the babies i thought they were spawning again because when they spawn the first time they chased each other away around the tank.

should i moved the other pair who got beat up on main tank so that there is not aggression to just one fish alone?

6. Nutter

Increasing numbers will not stop breeding. All it will do is increase the chances of breeding as well as cause way more aggression problems. 20 Jewels is WAY too many for a 55gal anyway. When Jewels breed the female looks after the eggs & fry. The male will now be seen as another predator that is to be defended against. That's why she chases him away.

As far as temperament goes you could mix Jewels with Cons but Cons are even more aggressive than & more prolific breeders than Jewels are. Cons will also destroy any plants that you may have pretty quickly. If the Jewels are hard for you to deal with because of breeding then Cons will be your worst nightmare. You can garuntee that if you put a male & female Con together they will breed. Then they get super aggressive.

Your best bet is to keep just the two female Jewels & find suitable tankmates. Or to keep just one of the male Jewels & find tankmates. If you want to have Cons with them just keep one & be prepared for it to destroy all your plants. You really need to research each fish you have & want to have very carefully before you buy them. You will also need to be able to tell male from female in each species that you want to have if you don't want your fish to breed.

7. OP
    OP
    j

the reason why i though having many fishes will at least lessen the death from happening.. it might have more chance of breeding but having more fish to chase away will lessen death just nip fins. and having other fish will be population control. i think i rather have baby fish get eaten then adult fish floating around kinda hurt to see lol..

so for me to stop breeding i need to pick either all males or all females right?.. wow that's gonna be tough.

i was thinking of trading my jewels with some convict i guess i have to pick all females if i do trade them (i probably wont since they are more baby machine than jewels). then to which is hard to find out which one is male which one is female. unless you have trick of finding which one is which at such a young age.

how do people keep assorted cichlids together? i know its a try and error but i wanna try in a way with less death or just little violence. and it seem like cichlids are breeding machines so how do they keep this from being a problem in a mixed tank?

i don't have any plants in my aquarium except one onion plant who are big.

Funny thing is she chase him away then they are together again after few hours weird

by the way thanks for taking the time to give me advices and answer my questions sorry for soo many questions its better ask now than do the same mistake that other have done in the past

8. Nutter

Overstocking only helps aggression issues with rift lake cichlids, which Jewels are not. Understocking is how to help avoid aggression among riverine species. People with mixed tanks usually keep only one of each specimen & the tank decor is carefully arranged to provide a clearly defined territory for each fish. Lots of research goes into the fishes eventual size, temperament, diet & compatability with other fish before people with successful mixed tanks actually make thier purchases.

9. OP
    OP
    j

cool thanks nutter your a lot of help now I understand why I can’t really overstock or mix them... now I know how people mix their cichlids it has to be a certain kind of cichlids like rift lake cichlids.

Do you have any recommendations for my situation?

My situation is I can't keep a group of jewel because they are breeding machines in a ground and very aggressive if they do breed. and having an unders tock aquarium look so empty. i don't i like to only both male or both female in my tank alone it would look empty.

So now I’m thinking of keeping my both females or both males jewel and mix it with yellow and blue electric and also rusty. Do you think that would be a good idea?.

10. Nutter

As I said in my first post, that would be a very bad idea. Jewels come from softwater acidic rivers. Rift lake cichlids come from hardwater high PH lakes. They should not be combined. If you want lots of fish then get rid of all of the Jewels & go with all rift lake cichlids or non-cichlid tropical fish like Tetras, Rasboras etc. You will have great difficulty keeping more than one male of most cichlid species in the same tank. They are usually very aggressive towards each other if there are not enough females for them to share & will kill each other.

My best suggestion for you is that you do lots of reading on cichlids & thier care. They cannot be treated like normal tropical fish & are not a fish I would usually recommend for a beginner in this hobby. You need to know every detail about every cichlid you have. What they eat, where they like to hang out, thier temperament, thier breeding habits, eventual size, tank layout, water requirements, compatibility with other fish, how many females for each male & a few other things as well.