Stocking cichlids in 55

1. t-ace Member Member

I have aquired a 55 gallon tank from a friend. He didn't know much about fishkeeping and recently had a bunch of fish die. He didn't have the tank long but is just tired of messing with it. I told him I would be glad to take it off of his hands as I could use a bigger tank anyway. The only 2 fish he has left are a gold severum (about 4 - 4 1/2 in) and a three-spot gourami (about 3 1/2 - 4 in). I have a 29 gallon that has been going for about 3 years with a female convict (about 4 in), a male jewel cichlid (about 5 in), a bristlenose pleco (about 3 in and has been that size for the entire 4 years I've had it) and 8 red eye tetras. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on just combining the two tanks inhabitants. I've done a ton of reading on here and other sites, just wanted some fishlore input.

2. wyguy30 Initiate Member

that would likely end in disaster

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Your tetras would be gone in a hurry.

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I doubt the severum would eat the red-eyes. Chances are, the jewel and convict have things sorted for now, and the arrival of another cichlid might cause all out war if they don't think there's enough space.

Also, they all like soft water apart from the convict.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I was more worried about the convict. And the convict doesn't have to eat the tetras to kill them.

6. t-ace Member Member

Actually, the red eyes treat the convict like their queen. She goes to the top of the tank to swim in their school and they gather around her. They have been that way for almost three years now. Also, the convict and jewel are very close. They share two clay pots. Every once in a while the convict will chase the jewel out of one, but I haven't ever noticed them to be violent with each other.

7. Chance Member Member

I love to hear stories like this! Sometimes our fish friends will surprise us and bond with the most unlikely. I believe it can be done IMO. Just be cautious, keep your eyes open for any bullying :)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app