Stocking Cichlid 46 Gallon Bowfront

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Curiousfishkeeper987, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Curiousfishkeeper987

Curiousfishkeeper987New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would like to get some type of Cichlid for my 46 bowfront. The tank is 36'' long. Preferably I would like to have more than just a couple or trio of fish and for there to be plenty of activity in the tank. I am looking mainly for African Cichlids due to my water having a high PH of 8.2. Thanks

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You could do a Mbuna tank. (No other fish though) Constant activity and you could get loads of color. It's the tank that all my kids and grandkids have always been drawn to.

3. OP
    OP
    Curiousfishkeeper987

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Whats the most common available species of Mbuna and least expensive. Also how many of them.

4. KimberlyG

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm going to post a video below. There is an address to a forum. I can not post that here. (Forum Rules) I am speaking of dwarf Mbuna. They can be kept in a 36" tank. This man gives lists and compatibility on his site. Obviously Electric Yellow Labs are on there, they are prevalent and reasonably priced. You should check it out if you are interested.

5. OP
    OP
    Curiousfishkeeper987

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Another type of Cichlid that I might be interested in is Peacocks but I don't know if they would work in my tank size.

6. KimberlyG

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Peacocks are beautiful, but in my opionion, your tank is too small for them. They range in size from 4 to 7 inches whereas the dwarf mbunas only reach about 4 inches or so. Peacocks are open swimmers so I would be looking for a tank that is at least 4 feet long. Have you looked at any Tanganyikans? They are not as flashy, but definitely beautiful fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Curiousfishkeeper987

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ok that makes sense and no I haven't looked very much at any Tanganyikans. What are some of the better options for my tank? Also I changed my mind a single or small group of fish that have great personalities would also work.

Become a Fishlore Member