Stocking Check And Questions 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by TucanSam, Dec 19, 2018.

1. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi Everybody! I was wondering if I could ask for advice. I had fish when I was a kid, and recently decided I wanted to get back into the hobby as an adult. I got a 50 gallon cheap and began to stock it, but then had to rescue some fish from my sister who got bad advice and refused to return the fish.

I ended up abandoning my stocking ideas and housed 3 silver dollars, dwarf gourami, a gold spot pleco, and some panda cories for a month or two in my 50 gallon. Circumstances required I move house, and while doing so I found a 75 gallon to suit these fish better.

The panda cories did not survive the move sadly, but all my other fish have. I also added two more Silver Dollars to improve their schooling size. My question is this: Am I close to max on this tank? I'd like to add fish if possible, but do not really need to. I'm more concerned with the health of the fish. Current setup is:

5 Silver dollars (About 1-2 inches)
    A dwarf Gourami
    A Gold Spot Pleco (l022 about 2 inches long)

Filtration is a Cascade 1000 and a sponge filter (not sure how much that does).

I've used AQAdvisor as I've heard its conservative and figured it'd be wise to go really simple and low with stuff. I understand the Gold Spot pleco gets very big, and if he cannot live happily in a 75 gallon I will rehome him to my LFS. I also understand that Silver dollars get big, so I am unsure if my filtration will be enough once they grow (or if they will have enough room). Trying to find a bigger tank is hypothetically possible, but used tanks are slim pickings around me and I'd have to drop some serious money.

I have a HOT Magnum I can hook up as well if filtration needs to be increased (Think it is rated up to 50 gallons or so).

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

2. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +754
    Experience:
    5 years
    Add more Silver Dollars so that they have proper school, around 8 would be good. I would be careful as the Gourami might get stressed from the movement of the Silver Dollars but if he has enough places to retreat to and clear his head he will be fine. I would not recommend using AquaAdvisor as it is inaccurate. You could add some Cory Catfish, all of one species and have around 12.

3. OP
    OP
    TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah, I only used it because I knew nothing about these fish, and everything I've heard says it seriously under stocks your aquarium. So I figured it'd be a good way to not go crazy and keep things very mild.

My Dwarf Gourami hasn't been stressed out so far by the five I have. I have a few videos of them actually following him around as if he was part of their school. It's adorable.

I considered upping it to at least 6, but if 8 would fit I'm up for that as well. I never intended to get silvers, but I am quite attached to them.

Thanks for the response!

4. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +754
    Experience:
    5 years
    Silver Dollars are awesome, sadly i don't have a tank or room to keep them. Good Luck, and i hope the tank works out for you!