Stocking Check and Advise!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by dbrunsii, Jul 19, 2015.

1. d

dbrunsii New Member Member

I have a recently set up and cycled 55 gallon freshwater tank that currently has starter fish (10 zebra danios) and about 7 plants. I have made a list of fish and want to know if it is okay.
    2 bushy nose plecos (must have)
    1 rainbow shark (really want)
    3 harlequin rasboras
    3 emerald dwarf rasboras
    5 galaxy rasboras/celestial perl danios
    5 zebra danio
    3-6 Goleta guppies (Come in 3 or 6)
    1-2 lyretail swordtails (one male maybe a female)
    shrimp? (cherry?)

(A side note I am considering putting in a some small rocks for a hiding place and adding DIY CO2 to make a more heavily planted tank and a light wavemaker)
    It seems like a lot but seeing as most of these are small fish I'm hoping it will work (maybe all the rasboras will hang out together). I know the plecos and rainbow shark get around 5 inches and my biggest question is can I make the 3 of those fit in the tank that is about 4' by 1' at the base. Also if we were to add shrimp what kinds would be the best and how many should be in there?

Extra info:
    I have a Tetra Advanced Filtration System Model 30-60. If it is the same as the Whisper model for a tank of my size it is about 300 gph. also the lighting consists of 2 Flora-Glo T8 bulbs connected end to end. Uk8Vx6naxgvBh6vMwv-RiZsaDKH278DR-KYK0fc9r4k.jpg

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

-The BN's will create a lot of bioload in your tank and leave less room for the other fish.
    -The rainbow and the pleco will probably be competing for the same food so be sure to provide a varied diet for them so they don't starve.
    -you need at least 8 harlequin rasboras in a school 3 is too few and they will not school with the other rasboras.
    -same things goes for the emerald dwarf rasboras. 6-8 minimum in a school.
    -at least 6 CPD's in a school
    -guppies and sword tails are both from the same family "poeciliidae" and can inter breed. Personally I would cut the swordtails and get the guppies.
    - you need at least 6 zebra danio in a school

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and welcome :)

You generally want only one pleco in a tank as they can get aggressive with their own kind. Especially if they are males.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A filter with 300 GPH is not nearly enough filtration for your tank, especially with the bioload created by the pleco. You should be aiming for at least 8-10x GPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with the above posts on stocking and filtration. All of our tanks have a minimum of 10x the volume of the water column.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    You need at least 6 in a school (of their own species) like Nympxzie mentioned.
    So 6 harlequins, 6 emerald dwarfs, 6 zebra danios, and 6 CPDs.
    I would be careful with the rainbow shark. As a peaceful alternative how about a pearl gourami?

7. OP
    OP
    d

Thank you everyone for your help. I understand the shark might be aggressive especially with not enough space/ hiding places (I will add more) so a big question is still can 2 bn pleco and 1 rainbow shark be okay in the tank together. Tell me if this is okay if I up the filtration.

2 bushy nose pleco (male and female to decrease tension)
    1 rainbow shark
    8 harlequin rasbora
    6 emerald dwarf rasboras
    6-10 galaxy rasboras/celestial perl danios (guy is selling 10 but might just buy 6 from elsewhere)
    6 zebra danio (might return if this overcrowds the tank)
    3-6 Goleta guppies (Come in 3 or 6)
    1 lyretail swordtails (male)

And any input on shrimp in the tank?

8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

This is just my opinion, but large school of small schooling fish looks better than several small schools of different species. So something to think about.

I would stick to a single pleco too.

Shrimp would probably be eaten by the shark.

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't have the emerald dwarfs & the Cpd's, they're shy fish easily intimidated & with the rest of your proposed stocking I doubt you'd see them, they can also interbreed which isn't a good idea

10. c

csawyer98 New Member Member

Unfortunately, if you want to keep two bristlenose plecos, you would need to buy them as adults (and the bioload would be far to large for even a 55 gal with 10x gph filtration), and it would have to be a pair (1 Male and 1 Female) because until then you will have a tough time sexing the two. If you have two males in a tank together in time they will kill each other. Yes, even in a 55. I had two BNs in a 75 and they one killed the other. So I tried again in a 125, and it ended the same way. I have tried even getting them as very young ones, (less than an inch) and they would even fight at that age. Of course, that is just my experience so other people may have had other experiences.

We obviously share a love of plecos. However, this time, I would skip on the second one so you couldn't be heartbroken if one were to be killed.

11. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Actually no, Guppy and Molly can interbreed, Platy and Swordtail can interbreed. The other combinations can not.

Yes, 1 pleco in this size tank is best, unless you are trying to breed them, in which they should be the only fish in the tank.

Agreed. I would double up the filtration by getting another one of your current filters or adding a canister filter.

I agree with this. Rainbow shark is too aggressive for the rasboras, and the rasboras would be small enough that they could be eaten by a full grown (6-7 inch) Rainbow Shark. Skip the shark, or change the plan of schooling fish.

I would suggest the following stocking to make your most desired fish work..

1 pleco (male or female, if you get both, they can reproduce, and there can be as many as 50 pleco fry in one batch)
    1 rainbow shark
    skip all the rasboras if you want the shark. Go with something like rainbowfish or bigger tetras and danios that get about 3 inches or more as adults.
    If you want the rasboras, skip the shark and do a Dwarf Gourami or Pearl Gourami
    You have 4 groups of schooling fish. That is a lot, I would trim it down to 2 types and make them larger. Pick your favorite 2 kinds and give them 12-15 of each, 8-10 if they get 4 inches or more.
    3 Guppy, all males
    1 swordtail
    Shrimp would be okay, but may get eaten by the shark if you get it.

12. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Ah, thanks for the info.  , and I assumed that this was a guppy x swordtail not a guppy with a tail bred to look like a sword, oops! :;smack

13. OP
    OP
    d

Hey everyone thanks again! Especially alink.
    I bought a powerhead/wavemaker that is good up to 75 gallons to get more circulation. So I bought a few of the fish and here is what is in the tank so far.
    10 zebra danio (still might return about 4. They bullied the guppies at first)
    6 Goleta guppies (really pretty but they were tiny about an inch and the danios were chasing them around but they have now settled down)
    1 lyretrail swordtail
    1 bushy nose pleco (that my girlfriend named Zucchini and is awesome too small to sex though)

I'll add a rainbow shark once I find one (not at the local store yet) and add a small piece of driftwood to the middle and attach that anubias to it. In the mean time I will try my luck with a few cherry shrimp and if they are eaten by the shark after I get it I'll consider it a welcome meal. And I'm going to try 8 harlequin rasboras since I have seen many records of them getting along (If not I will separate). Hopefully by keeping the numbers near the minimum for the schooling fish and with everything else in the tank it will keep the load for my tank good between the power head and the filter.

14. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I would not mix the small tetras with the shark, they are more delicate type of fish and the shark is aggressive.

It looks like to me you are going to do what you want to do, let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

15. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Very common mistake, especially since mollies, imo, look as much or more like swords then like guppies. Dont worry about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice