65 Gallon Tank Stocking Central American

Dan1o

Can anyone suggest a stocking for a 65g cichlids tank, maybe Central american? Looking for a stocking with few large fish rather than lots of smaller ones.

thanks in advance

MacZ

What now? Central or South American? That can make a huge difference.

Dan1o

Yes, the South American but was a typo I’ll change it now!
Ok just tried. I don’t know how to change it, I’ll start a new thread after work

Coradee

Hi, I’ve edited the title for you & removed the duplicate thread :)

Dan1o

Hi, I’ve edited the title for you & removed the duplicate thread :)
Thank you!

GlennO

Can you clarify the tank footprint?

Dan1o

Sure, it’s 120cm x 40cm x 50cm
Does anyone have any experience with Salvini cichlids?

BVUBeavers

65G is too small for an Oscar (my favorite SA cichlid), but I have recently fallen in love with Blue Acara (Andinoacara pulcher). For the 65G maybe 2-3 blue acara, a BN pleco, and either a couple firemouth or convicts. I like the firemouth because its brilliant reds and greens offset the blues from the acara making a tapestry of colors. I suggest the BN pleco - just because I love plecos and you don't want anything bigger or smaller than a BN for a 65 G. Smaller would get eaten, bigger would be cramped.

GlennO

Sure, it’s 120cm x 40cm x 50cm
Does anyone have any experience with Salvini cichlids?
I haven’t kept salvini but have kept other similar sized CA’s that would be suitable for that size tank eg. Firemouths, Rainbow, Sajica, Spilurum. Salvini are supposed to be a bit more aggressive than those but might work as singles. Can’t say for sure.

Dan1o

Thanks for the input. So what sort of size am I looking at? Up to around 8 inches max? Is that a good guide? If I went with that sort of size could I have 3 different types as singles? Sorry lots of questions!

GlennO

Thanks for the input. So what sort of size am I looking at? Up to around 8 inches max? Is that a good guide? If I went with that sort of size could I have 3 different types as singles? Sorry lots of questions!
Folks will have different opinions. It might be doable but my personal preference in a 4 ft tank would be 6" max.

BVUBeavers

That is why I suggested the acara, the firemouth or the convict...they are usually 6" or less. Salvini and Green Terror get slightly bigger and are more aggressive...actually Green Terror is like an acara on steroids - they can get up to 12".

Dan1o

That’s fair enough, in terms of variety three single males of for example firemouth, convict and acara would work?

GlennO

That’s fair enough, in terms of variety three single males of for example firemouth, convict and acara would work?
It might work. There’s no guarantee since individual temperaments vary. Keeping same sex is a good idea since convicts and firemouths can hybridise. The blue acara is SA not CA but nevertheless can be kept with them.

You could substitute the convict for a rainbow cichlid (or spilurum etc) which are less aggressive.

Dan1o

That’s brilliant thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • Question
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views