Stocking... Blue German Ram

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by weezer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. weezer

weezer Valued Member Member

My plan for stocking is: 2 angelfish (check) 15 cardinals (7 neons instead) 5 Rummynose (check) 2 German Blue Rams and a Pleco (check) and a bunch of red shrimp.

I had one male blue ram. Today I decided to buy a female one. I bought the male back in May or June? I didn't realize how big he had gotten so that was a bit of a suprise. And he seemed to know that she was for him bc while I was drip acclimating he stayed near her bag and fluffed himself. When I released her he followed her every where like a little puppy dog. I have never seen him act this way! It's cute.

Suggestions on further stocking?
    Have you ever seen a ram act like this? Is the age difference going to be a problem?

2. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

It sounds like your two rams instantaniously paired! Thats a good thing. I have heard of that before. Thou I have not been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of that sort of thing! I have two that don't always like each other. LOL. Luckily my tank is big enough where it really doesn't matter. But if your two are paired.... he will stay within..... say.... 6inches of her at all times.

Apparently the size/age doesn't matter to him :)

3. OP
    OP
    weezer

It's th most precious thing I've seen! He only leaves her side to say hi to me when I check on him.

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

5. OP
    OP
    weezer

That is a cute video! Thank you for sharing! Yes I think cardinals are my next adventure!

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I kept neons and cardinals together and they did not school together at all. Neons stay in the bottom half of the tank, and cardinals middle up. I suppose in a small enough tank it might look like they are, but with larger schools in a larger tank - they did not have anything to do with one another.

Time will tell on the rams. It is rather rare to just add a fish and get a pair, though with some fish like convicts that can be all you need to do. Watch and make sure he is not stressing her with his... attentiveness. It's common for people to misidentify aggression, thinking they are playing or whatnot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice