Stocking around my ADFs 40 Gallon Tank 

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 40 gal, it stays just below 80'. I already have 1 small minnow (white cloud maybe), 2 'mystery' apple snails, and 7 african dwarf frogs.

I have to feed the dwarf frogs in the open in a dish (so they can find their food), and feeding them is my top priority. I was going to put my betta in this tank, but he will die from over eating, so I decided to get him a 5 gal for himself.

My minnow eats the worms in the dish, but doesn't over eat, he just eats enough till he has had enough and then leaves the food alone. Also the minnow is very peaceful and the perfect companion for my froggers.

I have no idea what kind of minnow I have because he was a 13c feeder that my friend got for his turtle (his turtle died so I took the extra fish he was going to flush). But I don't really think they are suited to the warmer water in the tank.

I would really like a very small schooling fish that has NO aggressive tendencies and stays toward the top of the tank.

As far as fish interfearing with ADFs hunting abilities, I personally don't believe this is true, I have a lot of water movement in my tank (2 air stones and a HOB), and with 7 frogs they are moving also. Just in case anyone was thinking of this.

Or...do you think I am already over stocked or at limit now? (ADFs need about 3 gal per frog).

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My cardinals are active and not nippy at all. Maybe a small school would add a nice splash of color and movement to the middle section of the tank.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Will cardinals over eat?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think most fish will over eat given the chance.
Your ADF's will be bigger than the cardinals and if your ADF's are that bold there shouldn't be a problem.
My cardinals rarely pick off the bottom. They're content to catch flakes on the way down.
I don't have ADF's in with them so I can't say how they would react to worms or whatever you're going to feed the frogs.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lucy said:
I think most fish will over eat given the chance.
Your ADF's will be bigger than the cardinals and if your ADF's are that bold there shouldn't be a problem.
My cardinals rarely pick off the bottom. They're content to catch flakes on the way down.
I don't have ADF's in with them so I can't say how they would react to worms or whatever you're going to feed the frogs.
That is why I really like the minnow that is in with them now, he doesn't over eat (atleast he stops eating after a few bites).

ADFs are slow and wouldnt pose a threat to a small fish, especially if it was a quick schooling fish like neons.

I feed mostly live black worms, but I supplement with frozed blood worms and brine shrimp on occasion. The pic on my avatar is the frogs eating out of the dish.

I will look into cardinals, thank you for your imput!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about hatchets?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another thought,
Maybe if you posted a pic of your minnow it could be ID'd and maybe get him some company instead of the cardinals.

Edit: Jaycee, Hatchets stay at the top don't they? That could be a nice option.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, Ill try to get a pic of my little minnow dude

I was also wondering about guppies, or any other flashy type easy peaceful fish...

the gluttony really worries me because I don't want them to die from over eating and I don't want my frogs to miss out on food because all the fish are eating it

I looked up hatchet fish, I don't think they are very attractive...sorry. Also about cardinals, how can I be sure I'm buying cardinals and not neons (arnt neons nippy?), I wouldnt want to get 10 of something and then have it be the wrong thing.

Here is a couple of the best pics I could get of him. he is clearish and very plain. No colors on him at all, small mouth and plain. You can see in the first picture this guy is missing the top half of his back tail. One of the danios bit it off before I removed them from this tank

Attachments

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hatchets stay in the top third of the tank. In a 40 gallon (breeder?) they'd have lots of surface space. A glass top is a must, though, so they won't jump out and so you can see them from the top.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lucy said:
I had nippy neons. If I recall, Jaysee has neons but his don't nip.
But I've had nippy glowlites....

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ya, I don't want anything with even the slightest chance to nip.

Any thoughts on live berars? I was thinking guppies, I could get a few males and 1 female and feed any fry to my ACF. Just a thought, but I don't know how gluttonus they are.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My guppies are pigs!
My Glowlights don't nip. Funny how the same species in different conditions react differently.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lucy said:
My guppies are pigs!
My Glowlights don't nip. Funny how the same species in different conditions react differently.
Aww, I was really liking the idea of flashy guppies in the tank. But you think they would eat the worms all up huh?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine would!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had 9 in a 45 - they tore up my GBRs.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
German Blue Rams.....gorgeous fish!

See how GBR is underlined in Jaysee's post? That means it's a link to our dictionary

Opps...ok, it's not unlined in Jaysee's post because he added an s.
Sorry!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jaysee said:
I had 9 in a 45 - they tore up my GBRs.
Are you talking about guppies or what tore up your GBRs?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kupcake said:
Are you talking about guppies or what tore up your GBRs?
No, glowlites....several posts squezed in between that and Lucy's post.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads