Stocking Around Corydoras (habrosus)

Who would be good tankmates for Corydoras habrosus in a 40g? (Select all that apply)

• Lemon tetras

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Harlequin/espei rasboras

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Cherry barbs

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Sparkling gourami

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Otocinclus

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • None of the above, I'll elaborate below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been doing a ton of research on options for my soon-to-be planted 40g breeder and think that I want a shoal of salt-and-pepper corys, C. habrosus. I had albino corys with my pearl danios a decade ago and the danios stole the sinking tablets no matter what I tried, resulting in 2 corys starving to death.

I would really love to give corys (specifically habrosus) another go, so who could they coexist with who won't steal all their food, as well as be otherwise compatible? Right now, harlequin or espei rasboras, lemon tetras, cherry barbs, sparkling gourami, and otocinclus top my list of favorites. I know the otocinclus would be fine but I do want a mid/topwater species or two. I'm thinking 10-12 members each of 3 species but I do want there to be room in the tank if anybody spawns and the babies manage to survive.

I want hardy fish that can tolerate a range of water parameters because I'll likely be moving during the lifespan of these fish. Right now, my tap water has a pH of ~8 (though I've never let it sit before testing), KH of 8, and GH of 8 (though the leaf litter and driftwood I'm planning would soften bring those numbers down).

Many thanks for any input!! I also appreciate other suggestions of species I haven't listed. If you think that corys really should be kept in a species tank, I appreciate hearing that as well.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you get ottos, don't forget to feed them vegetables. They really do need the special treatment . Cories need an omnivorous diet, as do your top choices for mid/ top.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maggie thecat said:
If you get ottos, don't forget to feed them vegetables. They really do need the special treatment . Cories need an omnivorous diet, as do your top choices for mid/ top.
My first oto starved in my perfectly clean tank so I grew up a big crop of algae for my second and gave him plenty of veggies. 16 years later, I've learned that they need to be kept in big groups. The death of my first otocinclus still weighs on me so I promise I will only get them if I'm fully up to the challenge.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you could do a pretty cool tank with the habrosus cories, espei rasboras, and sparkling gouramis. In addition to complementing each other's colors, they are all compatible, and are all small peaceful fish that would look cool together.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
I think you could do a pretty cool tank with the habrosus cories, espei rasboras, and sparkling gouramis. In addition to complementing each other's colors, they are all compatible, and are all small peaceful fish that would look cool together.
Thank you. Lambchop rasboras are a fish I'd really, really like to keep.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherry barbs are starting to sound more and more appealing. They were a fish that always sounded really good on paper and were supposed to be gorgeous and then I'd see them in the petstore and there would be one or two brownish fish just sitting there and I wasn't at all interested. A couple of days ago however I stopped by a LFS and found a tank with a good number of cherry barbs. I realized I'd never seen a male before! Their color is unlike anything I've seen in nature. Keeping cherry barbs with espei rasboras sounds appealing but aesthetically I'm wondering if that's too much orange/red.

Do you think I'm better off having only one top/midwater species with the corydoras? I know that having just a single species is very popular in aquascaped tanks because a larger school/shoal of 1 species is supposed to look much better than multiple smaller schools/shoals.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you go with a big school of cherry barb, male and female, you're going to have a very vibrant tank. They darken as they mature and really come into their colors. I have grown to really like mine.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maggie thecat said:
If you go with a big school of cherry barb, male and female, you're going to have a very vibrant tank. They darken as they mature and really come into their colors. I have grown to really like mine.
That's great to hear. I'm thinking that they'd probably be the first fish I add after the fishless cycle is complete (should I choose to go with them) and it's quite possible I'd decide I'm satisfied with them as far as non-bottom feeding fish go. We'll see. I know that this isn't going to be the last tank I ever have in my life but I'm putting so much pressure on myself to choose the "right" fish. I have to keep reminding myself that whatever fish I don't choose this time can still come live with me sometime down the road.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom