Stocking around angel fish; Help needed! 60 Gallon Tank 

Natedawg879

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys, I have a community 60 gallon, a guess you can call it planted. It contains 5 Angel Fish, however 2 will be put in a breeder starting next week, so lets just say 3. It contains a small bristle nose, CURRENTLY HOMING 4 small clown loaches, fresh water flounder, and 2 boesemani rainbow fish.

I love the look of a heavily planted tank (hopefully will be like that in a few months) with neon tetras, I'm a sucker for a large school of them;D. However, people do say that angel fish will eat them. My question is is there any small vibrant, colorful schooling fish like neons, or tiger barbs that would be of with 3 angelfish, two of them being a pair. Emphasis on the word vibrant and colorful
The 2 rainbows are nice and colorful, however expensive. Thank you for any replies.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The first thing I would do is cut down to just the pair of Angels. If they are a pair & they breed they will likely do alot of damage to the remaining Angel, maybe even kill it. Yes Neons are eaten by Angels occasionally but if you don't mind replacing a few every now & again it's no big deal. Rainbows are best kept in groups of at least 5 so I would get another 3 Boesmani, maybe more. Tiger Barbs don't go well with Angels as Tiger Barbs are very nippy & very aggressive. They are particularly fond of Angels long flowing fins. There are a number of Tetras that would work with your fish. Cardinals look very similar to Neons but get to about twice the size, so are not as readily eaten & the red stripe goes from head to tail, not just halfway along the body to the tail. Rummynose Tetra, Silver-Tip Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, Lemon Tetra & Emperor Tetras would all make good tankmates for Angels if kept as a shoal of 10 or more. Coreis for the bottom area are always nice & they are quite active.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The male Odessa Barbs are very vibrant. Most all of your Rainbows. Congo Tetra's are beautiful. Maybe even some Gourami (sp?)

Here is our 180 gallon. We use to have more Odessa Barbs but lost a ton of fish a good while back because we didn't quarantine a newbie.

I am sure others will also have suggestions.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great vid Kathy. I love the contrast of the Odessa's & the Boesmani against the Angels. Very cool skull ornament on the left to.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nutter said:
Great vid Kathy. I love the contrast of the Odessa's & the Boesmani against the Angels. Very cool skull ornament on the left to.
Hummmmm.......... Nutter............ skull? on the left? ............... Hummm........... you made me go back and look at that video again............... hummmmm.......... no skull do I see. I guess I need to take better videos and by the way, do you have your glasses on?

Natedawg........ you might also want to consider that different fish occupy different levels of the aquarium. Some like to hang at the top, some at the middle, and others at the bottom.

Natedawg879

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Will definetly consider giving away my odd ball Angelfish next time im at my LFS, its so hard to do so:'( The cardinal tetras are beautiful, and let me tell you, that is most likely what I will do. I forgot to mention I have a golden gourami. As the the rainbow fish, I plan on eventually getting more, very beautiful fish. What is the minimum schooling number for the cardinals?

Natedawg879

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, and Kathy, your aquarium in very cool, I like the look. What are those large silver fish?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kathy- very nice tank! I didn't see any skulls exactly but in the rock work on the left side it looks like a skull in the rock formation there is also kinda one in the formation on the right, but its less obvious. That's kinda spooky lol :;ghost

Nate- You might be able to hold off on taking the odd angelfish out until when/if your others form a pair, for example mine never did so I can keep 4. If they do form a pair however, you will need to remove the other quickly to avoid injury.

6-8 cardinals would be a minimum, but the larger the school the better they look and the safer they feel. 12 I think would be a good number.

I think those silver fish are Silver dollars Silver Dollar Fish

Also and this isn't just you Kathy, but why do people leave their tv on while making a video of their tanks?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathy Potts said:
Hummmmm.......... Nutter............ skull? on the left? ............... Hummm........... you made me go back and look at that video again............... hummmmm.......... no skull do I see. I guess I need to take better videos and by the way, do you have your glasses on?
20/20 vision thank you & a 20/20 over active imagination to go with it. I'm not THAT old yet. Getting closer every day though.

It's actually a large piece of petrified wood or limestone or something like that but either way at 1:15 it looks for all the world like it has a contorted skull minus the lower jaw on the top right of it. If I could take a snapshot of the vid I'd edit it & high light what I mean but it really could just be my over active imagination if nobody else can see it.

Natedawg879

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NMfishman said:
Nate- You might be able to hold off on taking the odd angelfish out until when/if your others form a pair, for example mine never did so I can keep 4. If they do form a pair however, you will need to remove the other quickly to avoid injury.
The thing is they have formed a pair already, each pair has spaw.ed at least once, and have been literally tearing each other apart, so right now I have a peice of nylon in there keeping two separate territories.

And as for Cardinal Tetras, I will definitely get some when I save up, but probably a bit more than 12. Thanks for the help guys!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom