Stocking Around A Golden Mystery Snail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20gal with dimensions of 24x12x16.5. I believe this is a 20 high?

I'm looking to move my golden mystery snail to this new 20 gallon, which I will jumpstart with extra bb that I have in my 55 gallon (which is where the snail is now). The 20 is not set up as of yet, but I will get it set up by the end of the week. Currently the snail is in a 55gal with sand. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to like the sand so I'll use gravel in the 20 gallon.

What would be the best gravel to use? I've never had a finicky snail before, but this one has not come out of it's shell in over a month. It's not dead yet and doesn't seem to be dying, so it must be getting food at some point I'm assuming. Nitrates are a little high 30ish, but that's what they are in my tap water, so I'm trying live plants to bring that down.

The snail was cruising around for weeks (avoiding the sand best it could) before it went dormant so I question the nitrates being the reason it's hiding. Although it also makes me highly question the sand as well. I've noticed one cherry barb pestering it recently, and rather than move the one barb I've decided to take the snail and put it in it's own tank.

I've been considering moving the lone swordtail I have to the 20 gallon with the snail, but I didn't find much on the stocking threads about swordtails. Will one work in a 20 gallon or are they too active for a 20 high?

If the swordtail wouldn't work, what would you put in a 20 gallon high? I need something that won't nip or pester the snail, as this one seems particularily sensitive.

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What is the PH in the 55? Snails need hard water(7.2+) and will be lethargic without it. Swordtails need 20 Long+ and couldn't thrive in a 20 high. How about a Invert only tank?
3 Mystery Snails
2 Nerite Snails or 2 Rabbit Snails
6 Amano Shrimp
Neocaridina Davidi Shrimp(Cherry, Blue Velvet, Snowball, Rili, etc)
4 Freshwater Clams
Temp.-75'F
or a fish stocking-
3 Mystery Snails
8-10 Otocinclus Affinis(Need Algae and a mature aquarium to thrive, enjoys slow growing plants like Anubias to graze on)
2 Dwarf Flag Cichlids(Male/Female)(Are more peaceful than most Cichlids)
Neocaridina Davidi Shrimp
Temp.-75'F

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
pH is steady at 8.2-8.4. I cannot really tell which color it is. It's more inbetween than either of them though.

That was my thought with the swordtail. I will leave him in the 55 gallon. I was originally going to breed them and use the 20 gallon as a fry outgrow tank, but I couldn't find any females.

I wouldn't mind an invert only tank. That might be kind of cool, especially if I ever decide to try and find some female swordtails again. I don't know if I'd be able to find any clams though. Are they hard to find online? I love the idea of them, not sure how easily I will be able to find any though.

I don't think Oto's will work with my tap parameters. I have high nitrates, and I thought Oto's were very sensitive to changes or high nitrates? Maybe I'm thinking of a different bottom feeder...How mature of an aquarium? I plan to move bio over from an established tank that has been running for over 5 years, but I'm assuming you mean that the aquarium itself needs to be established for some time to allow algae to build up?

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got my Clam(s)(Other one died) in a nearby stream. On Ebay you can find them cheap. I believe Live Aquaria also has them. Otos are pretty sensitive and hard to care for but once you get them acclimated and used to the tank the are hardy and active. A PH of 6.7-7.4 is fine for them, you can find PH decreaser at Walmart or Petsmart for little money.

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, I'll take a look.

I don't want to try messing with my pH. It's been stable for years, so I'd prefer to get fish that will work with my current pH. Or I'll stick with an invert tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 60.0%

Top Bottom