Stocking Apistogramma Macmasteri or Viejita

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there,

I have a 20 gallon (tall) community tank that has some driftwood, black gravel substrate, jungle val, crypts, water lettuce, a few male endlers, and 5 furcatas. I used to have a pair of GBR in the tank, but am now looking for a new centerpiece fish. My tank temp is currently at 80, but I would lower it to 78F if I got these apistos. The tank is not new--I've had it running for more than a year.

I have a few questions:
1) Can I get apistos if my pH is 7.5? I know that fish tend to like certain hardnesses and things, but I've also heard that--if you are just keeping tank-raised stuff--as long as your pH is stable, then the fish can adjust just fine.

2) If pH isn't an issue, how many apistos should I get? I'm thinking either 1 solo male, or 1 male + 2 female.

3) I'm a little worried about picking out a colorful apistogramma. More than other types of fish, I really see a big difference online. Some apisto macmasteri look really stunning, and others look pretty dull/drab color-wise. Have people had dull/grey looking adult fish? I know that they look kinda dull when they are young, but I'm just curious if there is a lot of variation among the adults or not.

Thanks!!

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Either the Macs or viejita will be ok with what you have. A viejita with lots of color is most likely actually a mac.

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mbkemp said:
Either the Macs or viejita will be ok with what you have. A viejita with lots of color is most likely actually a mac.
I know it's more of a stocking question, but do you think I should get just 1 male, or get a small group (1 male, 2 female)?
It seems like the colorful macs are crossbred with viejita. Thanks

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do y
PascalKrypt said:
I would just get one group, so you won't run the risk of having to deal with breeding-related aggression.
Do you think there would be aggression if I got just a solo male? Or are you talking if I just got a pair?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If the pair breed they might not be friendly towards your other fishes. I've never had apistos but i had a pair of rams in a 29; and they were fairly aggressive and covered the entire tank. They pretty much had the tank to themselves but i did throw in a spare guppy to keep them from snapping at each other.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
EMcT1985 said:
I know it's more of a stocking question, but do you think I should get just 1 male, or get a small group (1 male, 2 female)?
It seems like the colorful macs are crossbred with viejita. Thanks
Viejita are harem fish. A male and a few females. I don’t know macs we’ll enough to comment

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
But it would be OK to just keep a solo male in a 20 gallon (with some furcatas and endlers)? I'd like to get a pair or male and a few female (since the females look nice too), but I don't really want to deal with aggression or with breeding (I don't have enough tanks to do breeding).

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
EMcT1985 said:
Do y

Do you think there would be aggression if I got just a solo male? Or are you talking if I just got a pair?
I butchered that sentence, sorry. I meant "get a solo (male or female, w/e) or a group of one gender, or you may have to deal with breeding aggression". I'm speaking of apistos in general, as @mbkemp said it is possible that the ones you want are different but do some explicit research on this. Some females can get extremely vicious towards all other fish when they are guarding fry or eggs and some males can get vicious towards other males when they are courting. Doesn't have to work out that way but there is a real risk with keeping a breeding pair in small community (20G high is really not that much space, a female will likely claim half or the whole tank as her sole territory when there is a male and they want to breed).

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just put 1m,2f apistogramma cacatuoides in my 29 gallon. I read about the aggression and I am hoping for the 3 to survive. That being said my dominant female is definitely not being nice to the sub. I have 2 terracotta pots set up hoping that they each claim one. As I read the females need about 12x12 area apiece. But no of course my dominant female is claiming a spot in the middle under my mopani wood. This being said it's only day 3 they are adjusting and I hope the aggression stops once they have their spots and hierarchy.
20191120_194436.jpg

This is the spot the sub tends to be found between the glass and pot.
20191118_154638.jpg

In between the spiderwood is a piece of mopani and that's where the dominant female likes to hide. So hopefully the 3 can get along the male interacts with both well. Just the one female

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd get M/F or M/F/F. It is the breeding (even if the eggs don't hatch) that leads to very interesting behavior.

EMcT1985 said:
But it would be OK to just keep a solo male in a 20 gallon (with some furcatas and endlers)? I'd like to get a pair or male and a few female (since the females look nice too), but I don't really want to deal with aggression or with breeding (I don't have enough tanks to do breeding).

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mbkemp said:
In my opinion the true appreciation of a dwarf cichlid occurs when they breed.
I had a pair of GBRs that spawned and it was fun to watch. Luckily, the male and female got along OK with other fish, though the male became more aggressive toward the female as they got older and she ended up getting injured/died.

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I bought a pair of GBR I worried about whether they would 'pair'. The guy at the LFS said that they usually do (they aren't that picky). Is it the same with apistos?

I'm afraid that if I got MFF I wouldn't have enough room for all of them in my 20 gallon tall. Still, my tank does have some hiding spots and I could get some pots/cave type things for them.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agree with Jake and everyone. I would atleast get a m/f pair. But if you dont want to deal with agression at all just a male. Wait I see it's a 20g tall. I'd do just a pair not another female apistogramma might be too tight. Gbr or rams u could get away with more I think. I specifically setup this 29 for the apistogramma. so I am doing cardinal tetras as a dither and that's all. The cardinals are pretty and relatively inexpensive. If they do breed then I expect my cardinals to take a beating or disappear

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom