Stocking And Water Changes

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Punkus_Magunkus, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

Sorry for asking so many questions I underestimated how much there was to learn about saltwater but this should be the last of my questions. Anyways my plan for the tank is some dry rock that I will hopefully add some life to, a small filter until at least the rocks are going for the cycle. I was wondering about what I could even stock in a 10 gallon, maybe a pair of clowns? As previously stated I am a complete noob to saltwater and don't know much about the fish so any suggestions that would be easy to care for would be appreciated, also the more common they are the better. And water changes in saltwater are of course a bit more difficult than freshwater having to match the salinity and all that jazz, but how often are saltwater water changes needed, and in what percents? How much does a refugium help with the water quality? I know a refugium isn't needed in this size of a tank but I would like to know my options and how it would affect my tank.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

@Jesterrace and @stella1979 will be of more help than me, but I think you could do a pair of occelaris clowns in a 10g, there are more options than you might think though. As for the water changes, similarly to freshwater, the tank parameters will have the most influence on how much and how often. As a baseline I always suggest 25% a week, then change more if the desired parameters aren't met.
    Also, you have to mix the salt right for a water change if you're not buying saltwater, and when you top off the tank every so often, you don't add more saltwater, you add freshwater

3. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

10 gallons is a bit cramped for a pair of clownfish long term IMHO. The other thing is that maybe it's just me but they are kind of the "Dime A Dozen" fish of the hobby. Small Gobies, Smallest Blennies, Firefish and Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasses would be my choices. Clown Gobies are a good compromise as they would be better suited for the tank and would be a bit more unique (while they still shouldn't be difficult to obtain).

4. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

I did some research and I found a few fish that other people on other forums had suggested. What I found is clownfish, watchman goby, bicolour blenny, orchid dottyback, possum wrasse, firefish, I saw mixed opinions on royal gramma in a 10g, pyjama cardinal, and clown gobies. How many fish do you think I would be able to fit in the 10gallon? From what I was seeing on other sites it looked like 1-3 depending on the fish. I would like to be able to pair up 2 fish without it being too big of a bioload.

5. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Orchid dottyback and royal gramma would be a definite no for a 10 gallon. A watchman is generally a no as most are too big and need more sand with micro organisms to survive. A definite no on PJ Cardinals as they can get huge as they mature. Bicolor Blennies get too big for a 10 and can be somewhat aggressive IMHO. 2 fish is max for a all 10 gallon long term unless you want to be glued to your tank for mainrenance.

For blennies tailspot and barnacle are the only options for your tank
    For gobies Clown Gobies, Neon Goby, Tangori Goby and a few other small gobies would work
    Firefish and Purple Firefish
    Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse

That's it.

6. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

How aggressive are these fish to eachother generally? Say i got a clown and a firefish or a firefish and a neon goby? Ive heard wrasses can be mean what do you think about the rest?

7. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

The problem with Wrasses is that they are a MASSIVE family and people tend to lump the Lined Wrasses and Thassaloma Wrasses (very aggressive variety wrasses in with the likes of Possum/Pygmy Wrasses, peaceful Flasher, Fairy and Halichoeres Wrasses. The Wrasses I mentioned are super docile and there has been literally no instance of aggression that didn't involve a wrasse of the exact same species. So as long as you only get one of the given species it will be fine. When people recommend Wrasses they are talking about the generally peaceful varieties I just mentioned. Virtually no one mentions the Lined Wrasses (ie 6 line, 4 Line/12 Line and 8 Line varieties) as they turn into pescacidal maniacs as they mature and the Thassaloma Wrasses are just big and aggressive.

As for the Clownfish, all Clownfish are Semi-Aggressive/Territorial to some degree once they get established and stake out their set turf. So if you do go with one, add it last. This includes the supposedly peaceful Ocellaris varieties. Firefish are generally super skittish and timid and easily bullied. Gobies are generally well behaved unless you have more than one of a similar species Goby. A Neon Goby and a Clown Goby should co-exist with no issues.

8. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

Thanks a lot for your help, basically what i got from that is that most of them dont get along well with their own species, but other species are generally okay?

9. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

Would a clown goby a firefish 2 scarlet hermits and 2 bumblebee snails be an okay stocking?

10. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

That would be perfect for a 10 gallon tank.

11. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Wrasses of different species can generally even be mixed together (ie One Halichoeres, One Fairy, One Flasher, Possum/Pink Streaked Wrasse). Obviously with a 10 gallon tank you are limited to just the last two options. The Pink Streaked and Possum could even be mixed as they are different species of wrasse.

12. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

Okay thanks again that all helped a lot.