Stocking and set up question 55 Gallon Tank 

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I have just enough gravel on the bottom to cover and barely hold down my fake plants I have. I went with just enough gravel in the show tank just to make it look nicer it is really easy to vacuum up as it barely anything like I said just enough to cover the bottom and hold some plants in place. I am thiniking of using suction cups some how on the bottom because evrytime I vacuum they all float up on acount of not haing that much gravel. I have a 55 gallon and plan to max out at 6 discus that would almost giver the recomended 10 gallons per adult discus. I may throw a few rummy nose tetras the require the same perametrs as the Discus and they can be used as dither fish and water indicaters as I have heard they loose their color fast in less than perfect water plus I have one cory cat and one small Pleco to help keep the bottom clean. What do you think about this plan?

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh and I am running a canister filter with Bio rings floss and carbon which I may be dropping the carbon depending how another thread works out for me. I use two T5's for the lighting and an open top, thanks for any helkp you may be able to provide.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an aqua one 980 fish tank in that I have 100kilos of gravel I thort that plants grow better with more gravel. the tank is like200L.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds like a lot of gravel but I need to know what that is in pounds and I have no idea what a 200L tank size is I work with gallons I will have to find the conversion for that So I think that it is 44 gallons from what I have ready how many inches is your gravel sounds like a lot.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yea australia is different all like that I'm not shore what the conversions are?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There's a tank calculator and a litres to gallons converter at the bottom of the page, guys.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
you I know I found it then, lol

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 55 gallon and plan to max out at 6 discus that would almost give the recomended 10 gallons per adult discus. I may throw in a few rummy nose tetras as they require the same perametrs as the Discus and they can be used as dither fish and water indicaters, I have heard they loose their color fast in less than perfect water plus I have one cory cat and one small Pleco to help keep the bottom clean. I do have just enough gravel to covr the bottom and hold down some fake plants. I vacuum just about every other day and I am doing 40% water changes 3-4 times a week. So again what do you all think about this set up is the workable?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be honest, it's workable if you don't mind stunted discus.
I kept a group of juvenile discus in a 55 gallon heavily planted tank and wasn't really happy with the result. I had read all the info about growing them out in a barebottom tank and then switching over to a planted tank later on, but I was impatient and I didn't want to wait. I thought that because I was pretty experienced with fish that I could bend the "rules" and it would work out. I fed pretty heavily and did a 50% water change every other day, and they just didn't really grow. The bodies will become elongated rather than round and give the fish sort of a football shaped appearance, but they won't become round and robust looking IME.

If I ever decide to grow out discus again, it will definitely be in a barebottom tank with daily water changes.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How does a tank with gravel in it stunt the discus? I guess what I am asking is why would this cause me to have stunted discus? My tank is not heavily planted there's just a few fake plants in there for hiding I know this fish has plenty of room my water paramets are good and he eats very well. So I do not understand why he would become stunted if not grown out in a BB?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's just not possible to keep a tank with substrate as clean as a tank without substrate IME. Trust me on this one... I'm currently running about 20 barebottom tanks in my fishroom. They are a breeze to clean compared to my other tanks, it's just not as aesthetically pleasing.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see and I do agree I have to vacuum like heck to get it supper clean gotcha maybe I will take out the gravel for now it wasn't much to begin with thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads