Stocking and plant ideas for 29g

OldNautical

I’ve got a 29g that’s been sitting around for a while that I need to finally get around to setting up. The only fish I know for certain I will be having in it is a school of cardinal tetras (I have some in a five gallon right now that deserve an upgrade), but other than that I’m pretty open to ideas for stocking. I’d also like it to be a pretty heavily planted tank, however I’m new to plants (the only plants I currently own is a dying Java fern, I don’t know why it’s dying I’m doing everything I can for it) and don’t have fancy lights or anything. The tank it pretty tall so what are some taller plants that don’t need a high tech setup to thrive? Maybe some root feeders as I have yet to have luck with water column feeders?

jake37

These are my two 29s to give you some ideas:

--
With the cardinals you will want to keep the tank around 80 give or take a little. I'd suggest some gold rams (m/f); some l204 (2) and some pangio myersi (7). If you don't like the gold rams you could consider a betta or 3 apistogramma (m/f/f).
--
For plants I'd suggest some pogostemon stellatus octopus along the back edge mixed in with a little italia jungle val. A single aponogeton boivinianus back center; some driftwood in the middle (and maybe a coconut shell). A melon sword (for deep green with some red/purple) on the left and a crypt wendit red on the right mid front. Then a couple of anubia (there are 100's) that have nice interesting leaf shape followed by a little java fern mixed in with the drift wood.

OldNautical

jake37 said:
These are my two 29s to give you some ideas:

--
With the cardinals you will want to keep the tank around 80 give or take a little. I'd suggest some gold rams (m/f); some l204 (2) and some pangio myersi (7). If you don't like the gold rams you could consider a betta or 3 apistogramma (m/f/f).
--
For plants I'd suggest some pogostemon stellatus octopus along the back edge mixed in with a little italia jungle val. A single aponogeton boivinianus back center; some driftwood in the middle (and maybe a coconut shell). A melon sword (for deep green with some red/purple) on the left and a crypt wendit red on the right mid front. Then a couple of anubia (there are 100's) that have nice interesting leaf shape followed by a little java fern mixed in with the drift wood.

Thanks for the ideas! Just wondering, what is the substrate in the second photo?

jake37

The dark substrate (2nd picture) is estes stoney river black. It is a bit nicer than the stuff i've seen at petco/petsmart and it cleans pretty well. Not quite as soft/fine as the white stuff which the cory, kuhli and pleco love to dig into (for better or worse).

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom