Stocking an old swimming pool?

PeterFishKeepin

Hi everyone,

I have some questions and ideas

there is a big old pool, its 13 foot/4metres wide, 9 metres long/30 foot long and shallow end is 3.5 foot/1.1metres deep, deep end of pool is 2.2metres/7foot deep.

After doing some maths i think its around 56,100 litres/14,820 gallons.

It got lots of algae, water is green but you can see bottom, it was a funcitonal swimming pool is 2017 it hasn't been used/cleaned or cared for since. Do you think all chemicals, clorine, acids and salts would be gone after 5 yrs? I was planning to maybe put some mollies, platies, goldfish and koi adn maybe a pleco or some cichlids.

It was a chlorine salt mix pool, there are mosquito larvae, some frogs so im thinking its safe for fish.

I cant water test it at the moment.

Any thoughts, would this be cruelly? ive seen, watched and heard of many people doing this before and i think its called 'natural pool'.

Hope you can help me with some ideas and if this would be suitable or too big of an idea.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I personally think it'd be fine if you'd do a big water change.

PeterFishKeepin

well im 15, the pond is close to 15,000 gallons, i dont think my parents would let me do such a big thing like this, would it be cruel to buy 2 or 3 feeder goldfish and see how they survive?

Flyfisha

Skip the goldfish. They grow big, poop a lot ( short stomach ) and nobody will buy any offspring.

Watch a few videos on rice fish.
I know you are 15 but I seriously think you might have fun watching them grow. A new species in Australia that was selling for $18 dollars each when i brought three bloodlines 12 months ago.
Its possible some shops in Sydney will be interested. They will give you store credit for dry foods or possibly one or two dollars each eventually. At least to begin with don’t expect to make hundreds of dollars.

I am going to suggest the swimming pool is good as is and ready for fish but only a water test will tell you.
I gave away a bag of juveniles last night to a local club member.

You would have to have a long stick with an aquarium fish net attached to have any chance of catching individuals. That is about all you need. Some floating plants are the normal filtration method.

image.jpg

Noroomforshoe

is it in ground or above ground? have you done any research on wintering? on weather you need a pond filter?
You can do common or feeder goldfish or shubunkins or koi outside, fancy type goldfish would probobly be best in an environment were the temp is more stable. Mollies and platties are tropical fish and can not survive in a pond. I would not try to do guppies as like fancy goldfish, they are use to more stable environments but minnow can live outside, and mosquito fish. However Please do more research.

Redshark1

If I were you I'd do some research. I think Monsterfishkeepers.com is the place to go. There are people there who rescue fish (when they get too big for other people's tanks) and they are mature with lots of experience. You don't want to set off on the wrong foot and make mistakes people have already made a hundred times. It could be a really great project if you get it right. I don't know much about it but I'd want to see the fish so I would keep big and colourful ones or grow them.

PeterFishKeepin

thanks for your imput Flyfisha i will look it buying some but peharps i could find some a little cheaper.

Noroomforshoe the pool/pond is in ground, i'm used to the temp and how it varies, i have an 850gal will goldfish, comets and shubinkins, and they recently had some babies so maybe ill do a test with them in the pool?

I want to stock it with something that gets big like a foot or 2 long, and then some that get like half a foot, then some small fedders because its so big of a pool/pond if i have 1-3 inch fish i would rarely see them, but maybe something around 6-8 inches would be ok?

Flyfisha

I have to jump in with a warning on the mosquito fish.
Totally against the law to move them around. Against the law to have them basically you will be shot in Australia .

I am currently giving rice fish away.

I intend to work on a bloodline of one colour next year. The few hundred I hatched out this year as I learnt a little bit about what is true and what is not are now surplus to my requirements.
image.jpg

image.jpg
Edit

To try and keep 6 inch fish is a totally different ball game. You would need thousands of dollars to start a pond in an old dirty swimming pool for large fish.

Rice fish are something you could toss in and do nothing. No water changes. No heater. Almost no feeding if the water is green like I suspect?

PeterFishKeepin

well ill keep thinking about it but my goldfish in my 850gal pond biggest is around 25cm/10inchs i really want to get a fish that could beat the 1 foot mark, so ill see what i can do in regards to small fish, but im considiring adding 2 or 3 of my goldfish pond offspring which are around 3 inches/7.5cm and let them grow out.

thanks for all your opinions and help and support

WRWAquarium

If you have money to invest in a nice filter and waterfall then I see no problem adding larger fish. Do you have orfes there? Can grow up to 2 feet, trout shaped fish that are Hardy and easier than koi but do need well oxygenated water.

Regarding any remaining chlorine I would of thought after so many years and with wildlife moving in it will be all clear. Test would make sure though.

PeterFishKeepin

ok thanks for the reply, i havent seen orfes near me but i do know what they are, i can add a waterfall, but i do have a pump the shoots water and filters it then shoots water about 1-2 metres into the air, i may use it because it oxygenates the water well. do you think with having this goldies/koi may be ok?

Flyfisha

No worries PeterFishKeepin if you want big fish I understand. The tiny little nano fish are never going to satisfy.

PeterFishKeepin

Well i want big fish for the pool/pond but nano lets not under estimate them, ive got a 40gal tub im going to set up in the future and planning for it to be an outdoor pond so i think ricefish are going to be my chose! :)

SparkyJones

"There's a big pool".

Is it your pool? I'm not gonna go any further if it's a pool at a neighbors house or a shut down community pool, or something along those lines. If it is leave it alone, it's not yours.

If it's owned by you or your family we could go further in the discussion and make sure you have permission to do it first and everyone with access understands not to chlorinate or try to clean it up for swimming.

You'd be trapping whatever you put there and it would be a death sentence given enough time. It's fine if you can attend to it, but if not and someone else comes along trying to fix it up, everything is dead.

PeterFishKeepin

Its a pool at my old house which my parents still own and don't plan on selling at the moment, the pool isn't used and cared for as we aren't there, but it is only down the road from my school so i can feed before/after school.

SparkyJones

I'd still make sure they are cool with it before doing it.

PeterFishKeepin

I'd still make sure they are cool with it before doing it,
Ye i checked their okay with it, they said they would rather see fish then green algae, IK that goldies eat algae as they do this in my 850gal

SparkyJones

Where you are at, are there plecos in the wild? Where I am plecos are everywhere in the lakes and canals from people releasing them. But you, nope. Illegal to import them to Australia. Whatever you have there in the hobby is what you have, which is terrible.

A couple of those would make light work of the algae issue if you have them around to catch, they are non-native species anyways so nobody would give you flack for taking a couple out of nature.

I could go down the street and catch a few 1 ft plecos for the pool and a couple more blocks over and pick up a couple hundred guppies with a dip net both from canals. Take care of algae and mosquitos.

Easier to just dump in 2 jugs of chlorine each week and call it a day.

You'd need a handful of common plecos to manage a pools algae, goldfish won't cut it. Must be 15-20k gallons or so for most in ground pools of modest size.

Pools suck, if you don't run the filter enough, keep the water level high enough,
Keep it chlorinated enough, it's just a bear to keep clear and clean, and let it go for a month or two and it's a mission and a half to recover it while the frogs are chirping away every night.

Chlorine should have evaporated out in a week or two, if salted, that doesn't evaporate though. If there's mosquitos it's likely safe for everything else though including fish.

Small fish, prolific live bearers, thay are cheap. They would breed and grow and breed and grow, the fry would eat algae and Mosquito larvae and that's sustainable. Over time as populations fish you could go to a bigger fish and those first livebears become food for them, if they breed and grow then you could size up to a larger fish. You've got to establish the food chain before making the next steps.each step up has to have plenty of food for it avaliable from the fry to the adults.

Small livebearers like guppies or rice fish will eat the little things like algae and Mosquito larvae and you won't have to do anything to maintain them what the pool creates naturally will be adequate. When the population gets big, then you could size up to a bigger fish but be mindful of their need to eat also, too big and they eat everything faster than it replenishes.

KingOscar

I'd do native fish if it were my pool.

Last year my wife and I visited PA to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright's works. While touring the spectacular Falling Waters home we came to the swimming pool. Out of service for many years it was green with algae.

Being a fish head of course I had to take a closer look. I saw at least one fish! He looked to be a native American sunfish, about 5-6 inches long likely native to the area. I have no idea how he (likely they) got there, and the tour guide didn't either. I wasn't able to get a picture of the fish... water was too green and when I peeked he wasn't sticking around for pictures. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0441.jpeg
    IMG_0441.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 9

Jerome O'Neil

I'd stock trout, and go fishing every day.

SparkyJones

I'd do native fish if it were my pool.

Last year my wife and I visited PA to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright works. While touring the spectacular Falling Waters home we came to the swimming pool. Out of service for many years it was green with algae.

Being a fish head of course I had to take a closer look. I saw at least one fish! He looked to be a native American sunfish, about 5-6 inches long likely native to the area. I have no idea how he (likely they) got there, and the tour guide didn't either. I wasn't able to get a picture of the fish... water was too green and when I peeked he wasn't sticking around for pictures. :D
it's Australia and they are pretty strict on "pristine water conservation laws" and fish collecting of native species, while also quite strict on non-native species also. I did find of list of known non-native fish species.6
unless this guy is aborigine, he's gonna get the book thrown at him collecting natives. he could MAYBE collect non-natives from the wild, but would need to make sure he's got his permits worked out and very clear he's not "molesting" native species..

They are tough, like crazy tough. from what i see they do have the usual suspects, mollies, guppies, platties, swordtails, white clouds, oscars, tilapia, goldfish, convicts and SA cichlids like midas and red devils. The blue acara was interesting to see on there though, I don't have that on my Florida list, just a black acara. mostly just the usual suspect and escapees from petstores.
no plecos on their list unfortunately though... so sad.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JimSinclair
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
  • zaidie
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Ed204