Stocking All-male Cichlid Tank

saddleupjep

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My all-male peacock/hap tank is a long time off, but of course I'm planning it now! I will be able to get pretty much all my boys at once, all juveniles. Since they're all coming from the same place and into a new tank, I'm not planning to QT. I know you're supposed to add several at once. Could I add all 30 or so at once? How do I prepare my bacteria in advance for that size bioload?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First order of business, need at least a five foot tank. Haps grow pretty big, six to eleven inches. Make sure your tank water is a PH of 7.8 - 8.3. Limestone makes a great hardscape & buffers the water against a PH crash. You need to cycle your tank, either "Fish In or Fishless". Plenty of on line info regarding "Cycling a tank".
It is good to stock several African Cichlids at one time, but not 30 of them, especially in a new setup. Maybe introduce three juveniles once every three or four weeks.
Research the desired fish for size, temperment & compatibility. One more thing, it's usually really difficult, but not impossible, to sex juvenile African Cichlids until they reach about three inches. Study up on gender traits. Good luck.

OP
saddleupjep

saddleupjep

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd be cycling with filter media from an established tank, but I'm sure it will need a boost.
The place I'm getting them from guarantees males, so that's nice. I'm planning the whole tank around having a Star Sapphire.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.6%

Top Bottom