Stocking African Cichlids

1. matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

Can i please get some advice on stocking my 54 gallon tank with African cichlids? I was informed that the mix I already have will have future problems. Right now I have 2 bumblebee, 2 auratus, 2 zebras, 4 Kenyi, and 1 electric yellow, I do plan on moving the bumblebee's cause they need a bigger tank. I just want a good mix that won't have no major problems in the future

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

The bumblebees will get on the larger side for mbuna but the others are fine together. In a 55gal I'd shoot for somewhere around 20 mbuna. An over stocked tank usually has fewer aggression problems than an under stocked tank. You could add more of the species you already have but be aware than the m/f ratio will need to be kept in check unless you go all males. If you have too many males going for the same females there will be problems.

A few species that will do alright with what you have:
    OB zebras
    Ice blue zebras
    Red zebras, pretty much any species of zebra
    White tail acei
    Rusty

3. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

OK thank you

4. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

Whats the best way to add more fish, the last batch I got didn't go to well, cause the other fish in the tank was already really territorial and kept going after the new fish? It's been maybe three weeks or more since i added any fish

5. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

You should rescape the tank during a water change then add the new fish in. The original fish will usually be to busy re-establishing who's boss and picking territories to take much notice of newer fish. It is also best to add new fish in groups. Like 3 or so at a time.

I always quarantine new Africans in a 29gal before adding them. This usually ensures the fish acclimate well to my parameters and it also allows them to fatten up and calm down. Makes it easier on them to not have to adjust to the new parameters as well as survive being chased around but the others. Haven't had any issues with adding new fish in quite some time. I just added about 10 new juveniles and so far no one is getting beat up on.

6. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

Ok thanks