Stocking Advise - Freshwater Community Tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AGuna, Jul 9, 2019.

1. AGuna

AGunaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate your expert advice in stocking a 25 Gallon (100L) tank. The tank is 80cm x 30cm x 40cm.
    Filter: EHEIM BioPower 240 (for Aquariums upto 64 Gallon)

Current Stock:
    4 X Platies
    1 X Betta

I am planning to get a new 5 gallon tank for my betta and keep this 25 Gallon for peaceful community fish only. The Betta that I have right now is also peaceful and is living fine along with platies but I doubt when I put other fish, things can go bad from what I have read online.

So I am planning to add below fish to my community Tank and would need your advise as I don't want to over stock.

4 x Platies (Current)
    3 x Molly
    3 x Guppy
    8 x Harlequin Rasbora
    8 x Black Neon tetra/ Neon Tetra

If filtration is going to be a problem then I can add another internal filter that came with my 25 Gallon tank (Marina i110 internal filter for 25 gallon)?

2. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi, the planned stock you have for the 25g is pretty much on 100% but bear in mind that platys, mollies & guppies are all live bearers & prolific breeders plus the guppies & mollies can crossbreed so your 10 live bearers will quickly become 20 then 50 then 100 unless you stock all females or all males, if you intend to have a mixed M:F group you'll need a plan on what to do with the fry. Filtration wise you're OK with the Eheim but with 100% stocking I'd run the Marina as well & you'll need good weekly water changes 30 - 50% to maintain water quality.

3. OP
    OP
    AGuna

AGunaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you for the advise. Yes, will keep the water change in mind and putting in the marina as well seems to be a good idea. Regarding Fry, I might go with all male/ Female.

Thanks again. It was really helpful.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    Not a stocking pro but keep in mind even if you go with all female they can still be bought already pregnant ( most likely ) and they will still produce large amounts of fry.

5. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    @kallililly1973 is absolutely correct, many live bearers have the ability to store male sperm for weeks if not months & can spawn a long time after having no contact with male fish so if the shop you get them from have mixed tanks any females will likely already be fertilised.

6. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    Although yes they are prolific breeders its fair to mention that they are terrible parrents and eat the fry. So you may never see them, but if your heavily planted you may end up in a pickle

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The only thing I would suggest is that you have a load of fish that occupy the top-mid layer, while the bottom is virtually empty. I'd strongly encourage to consider removing some fish from your proposed list (reccomend the mollies - grow too big IMO - and neon/black neons - similar to harlequins, plus neons are extremely sensitive due to inbreeding) and adding a group of fish at the bottom, like kuhlies or cories to add some visual interest to the otherwise empty layer.

8. HitzBlack

HitzBlackNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    5 years
    I agree with @aussieJJDude, I have albino cories and they are the most active swimmers in my tank! Also have 7 platys, they have only had fry once in the last 6 months, and they were all gone after 4 days