Stocking Advise and Plants

1. learninmo Member Member

being newbie, struggling where to post, but......my favorites are sharks, gouramis and tetras. Have 2 20s and can't decide how to or if I can combine these fish somehow. Seems both sharks & gouramis fight same species. Already have a 6in Bala shark which has been moved up from 5g to current 20g (poor guy could only swim-in-place).
    And want to thank u all about cycling hints, not sure how my first tank got started, but thereafter it was moving established water to bigger tank. This year is first time in 30ys i have encountered need to Cycle and have chlorine city water both.

another question : first time with live plants. Been blaming plants on ammonia spikes and on loss of fish, then i read in a thread that live plants help control ammonia? i am confused...i tossed the plants out the other day, should i have kept them?

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. Live plants are wonderful.

3. snapper Well Known Member Member

Healthy plants will take up ammonia. Dead, rotting plants will create it, though.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Here is your new thread :)

Ken

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Comments by AleyskaGirl:

"And yes, live plants do wonders. But doesn't mean slack on water changes."

Ken

6. learninmo Member Member

thank u

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

A bala shark I hate to tell you will quickly out grow the 20gal tank. You will need to start thinking about a 55 or bigger for him and soon.

As for the rest, I love live plants they make the tank look so much more real. As for the gouramis you could do a lot with 20s and them.