29 Gallon Tank Stocking advice

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
I am new here to Fish Lore and have been enjoying perusing through the forum and site.
I currently have a planted 10 gallon tank with 3 Long fin Zebra Danios, 3 Julii Corys and a Glo Fish. In the near future I will be upgrading to a 29gallon tank and I wanted some input on deciding how many fish to have. (The 10 gallon will be going toward a DIY freshwater sump experiment, so I can't use it for stocking)

I enjoy the fish I have now, and don't plan on trying any new varieties [although I may be persuaded ]. I have been on aqadvisor and other sites doing research and am thinking about having 10-15 each of the corys and danios. Would this be overstocked, or are there other issues I should be aware of?

Thank you for your input!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore.
I think 10 danios and 10 cories would be fine. Your danios aren't aggressive? Mine were, so I never got the glofish I wanted. I rehomed my danios instead.

stock slowly. And I would add extra filter media to your tank now to start getting it seeded for the new tank's cycle.

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are a little rough with each other. The glo fish just hangs out by himself (there were two, but one tried to play with the filter impeller ) I was thinking that more would help establish more natural schooling, and mellow them out some.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I understand that bringing their schools to 6 helps. I did that, but mine were still mean. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

I agree that 10 Danios should be fine & you can probably get away with 10 Julii Corys though I would probably settle for 6-8 depending on how good the filtration is. If you go with live plants as well then 10 of each shouldn't be any problem at all.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've got 8 Zebra Danios in my 29 gallon tank and their still not mellow! My go all over the place and are constantly chasing each other, but I haven't seen any damage on them. The only time they stop is at feeding time.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fishlore!

Great advice and suggestions above. But I would suggest to not get danios telling from many experiences of them being aggressive towards each other. So to be on the safe side, I'd suggest another schooling fish instead of Danios. Best of luck!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello and Welcome to Fishlore!

Great advice and suggestions above. But I would suggest to not get danios telling from many experiences of them being aggressive towards each other. So to be on the safe side, I'd suggest another schooling fish instead of Danios. Best of luck!
OP already has danios.

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all for the advice. I'll definitely keep it to 8 corys and I'll decide on the danios as I get closer to getting a new tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom