Stocking Advice

Arthur1993

Hello,

I am new to fishkeeping and am keen to get everything right. I have read a number of books on how to setup and maintain my tank, and have just finished a fishles cycle during which I have got my nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels to a good place. I am now in a position where I think I can start to stock my tank and was hoping I could get some advice from those who know more than I do on whether my stocking ideas are realistic. This is my tank: Fluval Flex 57 Litre Aquarium

I would, ideally, like to stock it with the following fish:

3 x Platys
6 x Tiger Barbs (I have read different opinions regarding the necessary tank size for these fish so would especially appreciate input here)
6 x Cardinal, or other variety of, Tetra
1 x Bristlenose Catfish

Any suggestions on how I could improve this setup, or if it needs to be totally revisited, would be gratefully appreicated!

FinalFins

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.

I would first cut out the Bristlenose pleco. They can get to max 5 sometimes 6 inches so it isn't a good candidate.

I would also cut out the tiger barbs. Best in species only due to their nipping abilities. Also can reach 3 inches and too large for a 57 liter tank.

Platies are a ok option provided you get all males.

Cardinals could work but I would reccomend going with a smaller tetra like the ember or green neon tetra.

Arthur1993

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the advice on the BN and the barbs as I wouldn't want to get it wrong!

Would the following be more suitable:

2 x Platys
3 x Otos
6 x Ember Tetra
1x Dwarf Gourami

Lakenvelderin

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the advice on the BN and the barbs as I wouldn't want to get it wrong!

2 x Platys
3 x Otos
6 x Ember Tetra
1x Dwarf Gourami
I think FinalFins is right in that a bristlenose would be too much. This stocking looks better in terms of bioload, but I have heard that dwarf gouramis can be quite aggressive. They're also prone to irdovirus, so take caution.

If you get a healthy and relatively chilled out gourami, that stocking should be great for you

FinalFins

2 x Platys
3 x Otos
6 x Ember Tetra
1x Dwarf Gourami
I would either do DG or 2 platies. I would also switch the DG for the honey gourami.

Arthur1993

Thanks for your help guys! Very useful.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
King o´ Angelfish
Replies
Views