Stocking Advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by blake e, Aug 1, 2017.

1. blake e

blake e New Member Member

Hello, I need some stocking advice for a 40 gallon tank. I was thinking that I wanted it planted, I know for a fact I want 2-3 angelfish. I do want to know how many schools of fish I could get and what type..Also could I maybe get 5-6 cories as well with 2-3 angelfish, however many schoolfish (and what type), or would that be overstocked? I want to fill it up as much as possible. Thanks in advance for the advice :)

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

If you have a 40g standard breeder, I would not get the angelfish, much less more than 1. They get very tall and need the height for swimming space; the tank is too short for them. You can have the corys tho :)

Are you open to other ideas? As for schooling or centerpiece, any particular color/fish that you like for us to build around?

3. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would not do an Angelfish.
    I would do:
    3 Rams (1 male 2 females)
    10 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    8 Corydoras

4. OP
    OP
    blake e

Honestly I'm open to anything, just want it looked filled up. But yes, I would definitely like it to have some sort of centerpiece fish :) thanks for the heads up on the angels.

And thanks for the stock as well, I'll look into that.

Not sure how to quote people on my phone I think that's why no one responded on my last forumI could also buy a 55 gallon if needed, if that would make my options bigger. Doesn't matter to me, I have the money, just gotta convince my parents to let me get a little bit bigger tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I would vote for:

3 swordtails (1M/2F)
    1 electric blue acara, rainbow cichlid, or firemouth
    8-10 gold or Odessa barbs
    6 zebra loaches
    1 bristlenose or rubberlip pleco

Tons of color and activity there :)

6. KinsKicks

If you can get a 55, you can have more of a stocking option; but a 40g is a good size for a nice tank.

As for quoting , if you look under the post you want to quote where the little icons are, you'll see "+quote" Go ahead and click on it, and it'll quote it for you in your post, and you can add more text :)

7. OP
    OP
    blake e

Ah I figured it out, thanks a lot :) as for that one stocking list, I love it, I think I might go for that. Ok I got a few questions since I'm fairly new to this;
    for that particular stocking list:
    - how often do I feed and how much? (I'm told I feed my beta fish too much)
    - live plants okay for that tank? if so which type of plants?
    - and how big of a filter would I need to have on there (gph)?

8. OP
    OP
    blake e

thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions :/

9. KinsKicks

Nothing stupid, of course :). I will say that if you want to keep the peace, avoid the cichlids; they can be quite mean/aggressive

You can feed twice a day with some good quality flakes/pellets as well as sinking pellet for the bottom feeders. Frozen/freeze-dried food (you can do live, but that can be a bit intimidating for those starting out) are always a good supplement to their diets as well; and I would fast the tank once a week. And do you want feeding advice on the Betta?

The Corys would also appreciate some veggies as a part of their diet. If you can, go for a sandy bottom or a soft substrate for the benefit of the corys.

You can have any live plant that you want/feel comfortable keeping; there are many options available (feel free to ask lol) :)

As for gph, you want something 8-10x the size of the tank (so 320-400gph) if your using an HOB

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Just wanted to add, if you decide to go for a canister or sump filter, you'll only need 4-5x the tank size in turnover, so 160-200gph.

Like cories, loaches would appreciate sand substrate.

11. OP
    OP
    blake e

Wow thanks for the help, like really that helps a ton, both of you. Yah, that's be good for the betta , it seems like he always wants to eat, so I feed him 3 times a day, he normally eats it all, I change up the food every meal (he even eats my bottom feeder food I bought) but sometimes there is buildup from other food at the bottom of the tank. So not sure. I was also thinking about with my 5 gallon tank I have to breed some sort of live fish for the other guys to eat, how would I go about doing that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice