Stocking Advice

1. blake e

blake e New Member Member

Hello, I need some stocking advice for a 40 gallon tank. I was thinking that I wanted it planted, I know for a fact I want 2-3 angelfish. I do want to know how many schools of fish I could get and what type..Also could I maybe get 5-6 cories as well with 2-3 angelfish, however many schoolfish (and what type), or would that be overstocked? I want to fill it up as much as possible. Thanks in advance for the advice :)

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

If you have a 40g standard breeder, I would not get the angelfish, much less more than 1. They get very tall and need the height for swimming space; the tank is too short for them. You can have the corys tho :)

Are you open to other ideas? As for schooling or centerpiece, any particular color/fish that you like for us to build around?

3. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would not do an Angelfish.
    I would do:
    3 Rams (1 male 2 females)
    10 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    8 Corydoras

4. OP
    OP
    blake e

Honestly I'm open to anything, just want it looked filled up. But yes, I would definitely like it to have some sort of centerpiece fish :) thanks for the heads up on the angels.

And thanks for the stock as well, I'll look into that.

Not sure how to quote people on my phone I think that's why no one responded on my last forumI could also buy a 55 gallon if needed, if that would make my options bigger. Doesn't matter to me, I have the money, just gotta convince my parents to let me get a little bit bigger tank.

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I would vote for:

3 swordtails (1M/2F)
    1 electric blue acara, rainbow cichlid, or firemouth
    8-10 gold or Odessa barbs
    6 zebra loaches
    1 bristlenose or rubberlip pleco

Tons of color and activity there :)

6. KinsKicks

If you can get a 55, you can have more of a stocking option; but a 40g is a good size for a nice tank.

As for quoting , if you look under the post you want to quote where the little icons are, you'll see "+quote" Go ahead and click on it, and it'll quote it for you in your post, and you can add more text :)

7. OP
    OP
    blake e

Ah I figured it out, thanks a lot :) as for that one stocking list, I love it, I think I might go for that. Ok I got a few questions since I'm fairly new to this;
    for that particular stocking list:
    - how often do I feed and how much? (I'm told I feed my beta fish too much)
    - live plants okay for that tank? if so which type of plants?
    - and how big of a filter would I need to have on there (gph)?

8. OP
    OP
    blake e

thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions :/

9. KinsKicks

Nothing stupid, of course :). I will say that if you want to keep the peace, avoid the cichlids; they can be quite mean/aggressive

You can feed twice a day with some good quality flakes/pellets as well as sinking pellet for the bottom feeders. Frozen/freeze-dried food (you can do live, but that can be a bit intimidating for those starting out) are always a good supplement to their diets as well; and I would fast the tank once a week. And do you want feeding advice on the Betta?

The Corys would also appreciate some veggies as a part of their diet. If you can, go for a sandy bottom or a soft substrate for the benefit of the corys.

You can have any live plant that you want/feel comfortable keeping; there are many options available (feel free to ask lol) :)

As for gph, you want something 8-10x the size of the tank (so 320-400gph) if your using an HOB

10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Just wanted to add, if you decide to go for a canister or sump filter, you'll only need 4-5x the tank size in turnover, so 160-200gph.

Like cories, loaches would appreciate sand substrate.

11. OP
    OP
    blake e

Wow thanks for the help, like really that helps a ton, both of you. Yah, that's be good for the betta , it seems like he always wants to eat, so I feed him 3 times a day, he normally eats it all, I change up the food every meal (he even eats my bottom feeder food I bought) but sometimes there is buildup from other food at the bottom of the tank. So not sure. I was also thinking about with my 5 gallon tank I have to breed some sort of live fish for the other guys to eat, how would I go about doing that?