Stocking Advice 29 Gallon Tank

1. KATESCI Initiate Member

Hello everyone! I have finally made the switch from a 15 gallon column tank to a 29 gallon tank and MY GOODNESS IT'S LOVELY! I have two mollies and one BN pleco. The tank has been up now for a week - I did a fish in cycle by moving the old filter over while also running the new one. They seem to be super happy.

Any suggestions on what else to stock in there? I definitely have some room and my mollies like to swim a lot on all levels but maybe a statement fish as well as some other fish! Thanks in advance everyone :)

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe a school of neons, CPD, skirt tetras or gold barbs? As for a centrepiece fish how about a honey gourami or a bolivian ram?

3. KATESCI Initiate Member

What is a CPD?

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Celestial Pearl Danio

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

What color are your mollies?

I'd go for a med/top schooler like some of the ones @BottomDweller suggested. A few others would be praecox rainbows, cherry barbs, harlequin rasboras, lemon tetras, or glowlight tetras.

Then I'd look into something for the bottom. Perhaps a nice large school of corydoras or kuhli loaches (not both)? They'll do a great job of keeping the bottom clean but you'll want to get a dedicated food source for them like omega one sinking shrimp pellets.

Then to top it off I would think of a centerpiece type of fish. There are some peaceful cichlids that would do well like bolivian rams (as @BottomDweller suggested). Others would be keyhole cichlids, smiling acaras, or one of the many apistogramma species

6. KATESCI Initiate Member

Awesome. Will corydoras or kuhli loaches get along with my BN pleco? And my mollies are black and they're actually pretty big!

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes they will get along with the pleco. If they get in his/her way he'll shoo them off.

I'd keep at least 8 corydoras (more if you get one of the smaller species like habrosus or pandas...then I'd do 10 or so) or at least 10 kuhli loaches.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do this:
    2 mollies
    8 neon tetras
    8 zebra danios
    12 kuhli loaches
    1 BN pleco
    1 bolivian ram