Stocking Advice on 45g community

kanzekatores

Hi Everyone,

Soon I'll be getting my first community tank. I'm looking around on craigslist for one that's 40 to 45 gallons but we still haven't bought anything yet. I wanted to get some feedback on the stocking.
I already know that I'll probably never be satisfied with the tank's final stock, so it's something that I'm willing to play around with. I have a lot of ideas and am going to put what would be the "ideal" stock, along with some options below on other fish I'd consider.

4x sunset platies
3x bolivian rams
8x neon tetras
8x bloodfin tetras
10-12x panda corydoras
5x fancy guppies
3x dalmatian mollies
3x Agassizii fire red apistos
10x cherry shrimp
1x blood parrot
3x bristenose plecos
4x african dwarf frogs

I'm aware that this is a ton, so I wanted to know what would be a good idea to eliminate. I'm fine with taking away the mollies, and the bloodfins.

Angelfish
Flowerhorn
Red turquoise discus
Tiger barbs
Maingano cichlid
Masked Julie
Raphael Catfish
Rainbow sharks
Zebra danios
Keyhole cichlid
Mouthbrooder
Gold rams
Red honey gourami
Wild betta mahachaiensis
Apistogramma panduro
dwarf nannacara

These are things that I might try out in there too; the apistos, mostly, I was thinking, were something that I could throw in one of.
For plants, I was thinking water sprite, anubias gold, and some baby tears so far, but it's also something I'm willing to play with. I've had okay experience with plants in the past but never used co2.
Any advice on this stock is appreciated, as well as equipment, decor, ideal substrate, etc. As of right now I don't have any tanks that are freshwater; only a bucket with some plants and snails. This is probably the only freshwater tank I'll have, so I want to kind of incorporate everything that I want into a peaceful community.
TIA

kattiq

Okay I have a 45g and now I feel like my stock is quite low. Haha But I keep my tanks rather understocked anyways just in case ( I also have m/f guppies that like to have babies- I have 14 guppies, 3 Bolivians- will be adding 1 more, 3 Honey Gourami, 10 False Julii Corys, 6 Amano Shrimp and a mystery snail.)
Plecos and ADF alone are very heavy poopers, so I would omit one of them and lower the numbers to maybe 1 or 2 if you had your heart set on getting either one.
Also a thing to note on the Bolivians, make sure you get the right m/f ratio- with 3 you want 1 m and 2 females.
I think personally a blood parrot is way too big to be added to a community tank of just a 40-45g as well.
Apistos would be good, but either those or Bolivians as they inhabit the same area of the tank and Bolivians can be quite territorial especially during breeding time.
I personally think getting rid of some of the schools and making other schools a bit bigger would be better. Like for example: have 10 guppies, instead of 5 and get rid of the 4 platies etc.
That way it'll be easier to care for more of one type of fish instead of many different types.
Hope this helps.

Betta'sAnonymous

Myself, i wouldn't put livebearers in just because of how quickly population can get out of hand. Though might not be too bad if you are cool with the fry getting eaten by all the other fish.

kanzekatores

I've heard about livebearer fry getting out of control but haven't really kept livebearers before except a few male guppies. Is it doable to just get male livebearers or will they fight?

kattiq

kanzekatores said:
I've heard about livebearer fry getting out of control but haven't really kept livebearers before except a few male guppies. Is it doable to just get male livebearers or will they fight?
From experience male guppies do end up getting kind of aggressive with each other, however that doesn't mean that it happens to everyone.
Also I had 10 fry in the tank and now I only have 3 left. My Rams and Gouramis chowed down on the rest. So if you didn't try to save them their population will definitely be reduced and better maintained with other fish that appreciate "live" foods.
I personally love my guppies and they make great colorful and active additions to the tank. I've had them for several months and haven't had a fry problem.

JettsPapa

Cherry shrimp would be expensive fish food. If you really want shrimp in the tank I'd suggest ghost shrimp instead. They'll still get eaten, but they're much less expensive.

kattiq

It's better but I still think it is pretty overstocked with 2 BN. The males get big so I would just do 1 or none. Also check on the capability with the Bolivians and Apistos- as I said they inhabit the same area of the tank. It probably won't be enough room for both species in my opinion.

JettsPapa

kanzekatores said:
I don't find shrimp like amano or ghost very attractive and am thinking I can maybe introduce crystal reds/ red cherries early on and see how it goes?
You sure can. It's your money.

FinalFins

kanzekatores said:
4x sunset platies
3x bolivian rams
8x neon tetras
8x bloodfin tetras
10-12x panda corydoras
5x fancy guppies
2x Agassizii fire red apistos
10x cherry shrimp
2x bristenose plecos

Is this a little bit better? I don't find shrimp like amano or ghost very attractive and am thinking I can maybe introduce crystal reds/ red cherries early on and see how it goes?
Shave it down to one species of dwarf cichlids, once group of bottom dwellers and one group of “filler fish” like tetras and such.
A

Also , crystal red shrimp require exact parameters with a ph around 6.5-6.8 and some other parameteRs. I don’t know what the exact parameters you need for crystals but you can probably ask others. richiep knows shrimp.

kanzekatores

I can do one BN. But also take into account that I'm willing to do a lot of spending and maintenance to make it work. I was thinking both a Aquaclear 70 and 20gal sponge filter for filtration, air pump, and lots of plants for cover. I could have a kind of shrimp "hub" with lots of moss and plants in part of the tank, maybe on the other side from the rams/cichlids

kanzekatores

Ok I've narrowed it down. Will this work?
4x sunset platies
3x bolivian rams
8x neon tetras
10-12x panda corydoras
2x Agassizii fire red apistos
1x bristenose pleco

If the apistos and rams don't work together I'll give back one of them.

kattiq

Better, and good to have a back up plan with those 2. Also with Bolivians it's hard to sex as juveniles sometimes but you definitely want more females than males. Or you might want to just stick with a pair.

kanzekatores

thanks I’ll put a pair in instead :)
The thread was renamed so I can have a thread for the build when I get it going (it might be a while)
Alright I think I figured out the stock, thanks for the help

waterpat

Wouldn't the rams and apistos eat the cherry shrimp?

kanzekatores

I don’t think I’m getting cherry shrimp. I might try a few but as I’ve been told they’re most likely going to be a waste of money.

JettsPapa

kanzekatores said:
I don’t think I’m getting cherry shrimp. I might try a few but as I’ve been told they’re most likely going to be a waste of money.
Not necessarily a waste of money. Just think of them as expensive fish food.

Noroomforshoe

Dippiedee

I dont know if it's just that my BN is extra grumpy but in my 40 gallon he was completely intolerant of my other BN and would chase it every time he saw it. It had to come out because it was doing terrible in there with him. He also chases my clown pleco but nowhere near as much as he did the other BN.

IMO cardinals are better than neons. Neons die way too easily, if I could keep half of the group alive that was impressive but I've never lost a cardinal.

Bamboo shrimp are good but they hide 99.9% of the time

kanzekatores

JettsPapa said:
Not necessarily a waste of money. Just think of them as expensive fish food.
Noroomforshoe said:
If you want shrimp try bamboo shrimp.
Dippiedee said:
I dont know if it's just that my BN is extra grumpy but in my 40 gallon he was completely intolerant of my other BN and would chase it every time he saw it. It had to come out because it was doing terrible in there with him. He also chases my clown pleco but nowhere near as much as he did the other BN.

IMO cardinals are better than neons. Neons die way too easily, if I could keep half of the group alive that was impressive but I've never lost a cardinal.

Bamboo shrimp are good but they hide 99.9% of the time
I didn't want my cherries as food so if they're not safe with apistos/rams I don't think I'm doing shrimp. I might try a few of them and see how it goes. And bamboo shrimp are very unattractive imo. I was kind of only looking at cherries.

I think I'm only getting one Bristlenose also. I love the look and activity of the albinos that I see at the store so I think I'll go with that.

I've heard a lot that neons are sensitive and susceptible to disease, but the cardinals just look too big. I was considering diamond head tetras though. We'll see. I think I'll still stick with neons because I'll cycle the tank before adding fish and have them in a big school so they feel very comfortable.

Noroomforshoe

Cardinals are not bigger then neons, and I agree that neons are not hardy, cycled tank or not. But get the fish that you want! Also you might like glowlight tetra.
I just wanted to add to what dippiedie said, Pleco do not like other
pleco, especially if you have 2 males. The disputes may come at night, and you may not even notice until its too late. Bristlenose may be the only species that can be sexed, so at a certain age, if your bristlnose has no whiskers, its a female, and you should be safe to add another.

FinalFins

Noroomforshoe said:
Cardinals are not bigger then neons
Cardinals are very much bigger than neons- you are looking at 2 or so inches for fully grown adults

Noroomforshoe

FinalFins said:
Cardinals are very much bigger than neons- you are looking at 2 or so inches for fully grown adults
oops!

kanzekatores

Noroomforshoe said:
Cardinals are not bigger then neons, and I agree that neons are not hardy, cycled tank or not. But get the fish that you want! Also you might like glowlight tetra.
I just wanted to add to what dippiedie said, Pleco do not like other
pleco, especially if you have 2 males. The disputes may come at night, and you may not even notice until its too late. Bristlenose may be the only species that can be sexed, so at a certain age, if your bristlnose has no whiskers, its a female, and you should be safe to add another.
I was going to only go with one pleco since they apparently have a lot of bioload. But having both an albino and normal would both be cool so I’ll get a m & f if you think I can

Noroomforshoe

In a 45 gallon you should be ok to have a male and female bristlnose. But with the apistos and cories its getting to be a lot of fish. I suggest that you choose only 2 species of bottom feeders. or at least stick to one pleco if you want the cories too. IDK, what do others suggest?

The other problem, you may not be able to find bristlnose for sail that are old enough to sex. I saw older ones once maybe 5 years ago, with wiskers, but since then i have only seen tiny ones. maybe you will have more luck!

Dippiedee

Im terrible for overstocking bottom feeders lol I just love them

Coradee

Dippiedee said:
Im terrible for overstocking bottom feeders lol I just love them
“in best stage whisper” Psst! don’t tell anyone but I do that too ;)

kanzekatores

I think I'll start with one pleco and if I can sex a second one at the store sometime after that I'll get it. I'll see what I can find. I'm honestly okay with only one though. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom