15 Gallon Tank Stocking advice needed

jamesde

I have a 15 gallon with the following stock:

6 danio (2 zebra and 4 leopard)
8 neon tetra
1 juvenile guppy
Assortment of snails
Lots of live plants

I’ve just completed a fish in cycle. All parameters are fine. Nitrate around 5-10ppm and doing weekly 30% changes with gravel vacuuming on every change.

I’m also cycling a 25 gallon.

All fish in the 15 gallon are doing very well. Eat well, active, look healthy - I’ve no concerns. Other than a hair algae issue taking over my plants and now green algae covering my gravel.

I’ve read this can be due to overstocking? Is that due to broken down fish waste in the filters / substrate feeding the algae?

I was thinking of moving the neons to the 25 gallon, leaving only the 6 danio and 1 guppy in the 15 gallon.

Would this help my algae issue? Or am I missing something entirely?

I have the white LED light on only 4 hours a day, the tank is not in any direct sun light either.

In the 25 gallon I’ll have the 8 neon tetra and want to get 5 panda garra and a few snails. Also a planted tank with canister filter.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks
James

Kribensis27

Yes, the stocking could possibly be your issue. I would move the danios instead as they would use the extra space more. If the tank is new, it is likely still balancing. The algae should disappear when it fully balances.

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

Algae absorbs the nitrates produced from fish waste by your bb. It cannot do anything with the fish waste directly. Since your nitrates are reasonable, the problem is not fish waste. Overstocking causes algae growth by raising the nitrates in the tank, so your problem is not overstocking. Based on what you've said, lighting isn't the issue.

That leaves two possible culprits: your tap water, and any fertilizer you are using for the plants. If you are using fertilizer, just stop using it and the algae levels will die down. If you are not using fertilizer, there are probably nutrients in your tap water that encourage algae growth.

If your tap water is the problem, you've got two solutions: one, use distilled water with a gh supplement in it instead of tap water. Two, get a nerite snail or two. They'll clear your algae problem right up.

Actually, nerite snails are a potential solution for hair algae whatever the cause. Don't worry about your plants; nerites won't eat live plants unless they're starving. Just make sure to either remove them or supplement their diet when they're done eating your algae. You can feed them either blanched vegetables or algae wafers.

Upvote 0

jamesde

Yes, the stocking could possibly be your issue. I would move the danios instead as they would use the extra space more. If the tank is new, it is likely still balancing. The algae should disappear when it fully balances.
It is a new tank actually, had to do a fish in cycle which has only just completed. You think I should maybe leave it for a while and see if it clears?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

It is a new tank actually, had to do a fish in cycle which has only just completed. You think I should maybe leave it for a while and see if it clears?
Honestly, it would be faster to just get a nerite. They'll take care of your issue.

Upvote 0

kansas

I think having your lights on longer could help your plants outcompete the algae.

From my reading and my own battles with algae, i think there's a lot going on in the chemistry of the water in an aquarium, and it's hard to say what is causing a particular algae outbreak. It's an art figuring out the combination of plants, lights, fertilizers and animals that work for you.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

Honestly, it would be faster to just get a nerite. They'll take care of your issue.
That's what I would do.

Upvote 0

jamesde

Algae absorbs the nitrates produced from fish waste by your bb. It cannot do anything with the fish waste directly. Since your nitrates are reasonable, the problem is not fish waste. Overstocking causes algae growth by raising the nitrates in the tank, so your problem is not overstocking. Based on what you've said, lighting isn't the issue.

That leaves two possible culprits: your tap water, and any fertilizer you are using for the plants. If you are using fertilizer, just stop using it and the algae levels will die down. If you are not using fertilizer, there are probably nutrients in your tap water that encourage algae growth.

If your tap water is the problem, you've got two solutions: one, use distilled water with a gh supplement in it instead of tap water. Two, get a nerite snail or two. They'll clear your algae problem right up.

Actually, nerite snails are a potential solution for hair algae whatever the cause. Don't worry about your plants; nerites won't eat live plants unless they're starving. Just make sure to either remove them or supplement their diet when they're done eating your algae. You can feed them either blanched vegetables or algae wafers.
I do use root tabs and flourish but both are so low in phosphate that it shouldn’t be causing any algae issues.

My phosphate levels are around 0.5ppm which I believe is ok? I’ll test my tap water for phosphate tomorrow.

I have 4 zebra nerites in there and they’re not eating any of it .

I’m going to have to post on the algae section of the forum I think. I know this isn’t the right section for algae issues.
I have 4 nerites.. seems like they don’t like the algae on the menu

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

Dude, anything that encourages plant growth will encourage algae growth. Also, phosphate isn't the only nutrient that causes algae growth that could be in your water. It's just the most common.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rojizo
  • Question
Replies
Views
CTYankee79
  • Question
Replies
Views