Stocking Advice Needed, Corys, Betta Sorority, Synodontis...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Carmen79, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Carmen79New MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I have this lovely new planted tank cycling and I'm very much looking forward to move there my beloved corydoras.

It's 3 skunk corys and 3 sterbai corys. I do know they need to be in a school of 4 minimum. But circumstances brought them to me and they have been together in one tank now for about 3 or 4 weeks. They all get along very well so far. Previously they were in different tanks.

I would like to add a sorority of Bettas, and also, a couple of synodontis white Zambia's.

What do you think of this combination..? I know the synodontis should also be in a school of many.. but I'm not sure my tank will be able to support the numbers...

Please feel free to share your advice or any input!

Many thanks in advance!
    PS. My tank is 70 liters, with 2 filters, aquaflow 200 and JBL i60

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What size tank is this? The cories need groups of 6+ minimum of their own species, not 4.

3. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I think the stocking combination really depends on the tank size. When you're looking at schooling fish if you don't have room for the proper numbers its best to just pass on them completely.

Just read on another of the OP post that its a 70L (~18.5g)

This is going to be too small for a sorority of female bettas. Usually the rule of thumb is 30g or larger. I would not add the synodontis either as they really get too big for this size tank and would compete with space with the cory cats.

You don't really have space for two separate schools of cory cats so I'd probably look into trading in one set for more of the other type that way you have one school of 6 cories of one species.

Then you could look into some other fish that don't get big. Maybe a school of small tetras like neons or something and a DG or something as a centerpiece?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  4. Carmen79New MemberMember

Sorry I forgot to mention it!
    70 liters, with 2 filters, aquaflow 200 and JBL i60

Oh :-(
    I already have the 3 skunk corys and the 3 sterbai corydoras waiting for a tank upgrade, how about I only get a couple of female Bettas..? How many would be okay...?
    My tank is very planted...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

If you only do a couple female bettas, you are running a big risk of aggression, as there wouldn't be enough to set up a hierarchy. I'd do something else, like honey gouramis, which are much more peaceful.

6. Carmen79New MemberMember

Ohhh that honey gourami is so cute!

Well, this is bad news for me still, cause I really wanted the betta girls. What about 3 Bettas..? Wait I will check it on the aqadvisor just 1 sec

Okay I inserted my 3 skunk corys and my 3 sterbai corys and 5 female Bettas!! And it says it's okay!!!!!!??? Screenshot_20190626-134738.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Aqadvisor really isn't the best to go to for stocking information. It can give you a guideline but that's it really it doesn't take into account a lot of things.

Betta sororities really are only successful in really well planted (live or fake) like I'm talking TONS to break up the sight lines. Also they generally do best in groups of like 5 or more because it spreads the aggression and pecking order around so its just one getting beat to death. Minimum long term successful sorority I've seen is a 29g tank. Most often smaller tanks end up that something happens at some point, often it'll work out for a couple weeks, by the time you notice something is wrong its too late. In a tank smaller you don't have enough space for them all to develop their own territories. If you're dead set on a betta I'd just do a single female, you could try a male but I've noticed they're hit or miss with communities.

Cories really need to be in groups of 8 or more, they do okay in smaller groups but they really aren't thriving in smaller groups. It also needs to be the same species. Often LFS will let you trade them in if you tell them what's going on as long as yours are healthy. They may give you credit and maybe you have to add a little bit to buy the ones you want but that will make the fish much happier. Something else we haven't discussed with cories is your substrate, have you considered what substrate you're going to use? Rocks often can cause injuries so sand is usually recommended.

If you're on facebook there is a really cool group called "betta sorority & female betta keepers" this group is FULL of people that have amazing successful sororities. One big thing I've noticed is they are also almost always monitoring the tank so that is another thing you'd want to make sure you have time for if you decide to push forward with the betta sorority idea.

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Just 3 bettas would likely kill each other. I would avoid the betta sorority, they can be a chore to maintain.

9. Carmen79New MemberMember

Ohhh wow... Well this makes me think a lot about it now... I don't want any of my fish to be bullied! :-(

I can certainly consider rehoming one type of Cory and getting more of the other type.

My tank has plants and a couple of hiding places....
    Please could you give a look at it and tell me what you think...????
    Also, I would have the ex-Cory tank available in case anything goes wrong... IMG_20190615_111905.jpgIMG_20190615_111911.jpg

10. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I think your tank is stunning! Personally I think a school of neon tetras would look AMAZING with all of the plants, then you could always do a DG or a female betta as a center piece fish :)

11. Carmen79New MemberMember

Thank you very much e Watson!

Hmm I'm not that enthusiastic about the tetras, but I can think about it.

Okay a new scenario, what about if I o my have the sorority? Would that work..?

12. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of your tank? I guess I missed it before, but the Synodontis need a bigger tank.

13. nixiemythNew MemberMember

personally I would do a single betta, add a couple more of each cory's (i have a mixed school that all school together but I know the fish community frowns on this.) Maybe with a upgrade (facebook market is great for cheap set ups) do some cardinal tetra's. I wasn't to keen on them to begin with but the cardinals happen to be my most commented on fish in the community, I now prefer them to my danios.

My other thought for you was if you swapped the betta with a dwarf cichlid, like rams. youll get alot of colour and more options for tank mates later on. Good luck :)

14. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

A pair of Laetacara dorsigera ?