Stocking Advice For Fowlr Tank 50 Gallon Tank

1. L

Louise83 New Member Member

Im new to saltwater tanks and setting up a 50g FOWLR tank.
    I know its a long way off but deciding on my stocking for it eventually. Want a good number but dont want to be overstocked at all (so advice on that please)

Ocellaris Clownfish
    Watchman Goby
    Banded Coral Shrimp
    Orchid Dottyback
    Longnose Hawkfish
    Bangaii Cardinal

Do you think this is a compatible lot?
    Im hoping for fairly peaceful but very colourful. Ive always loved Royal Dottybacks but have been reading the Orchid has a better temperament.
    Im open to other suggestions too (nothing that will outgrow the tank) the one im most set on is the Clownfish and would really love some purple in there. Have also looked at purple firefish, firefish and flasher wrasse. But the list is my prefered. I love the purple firefish but they are very timid. Another option is to get a purple firefish instead of the orchid dottyback and leave the hawkfish as it might prey on it. Then get something more suitable to replace the hawkfish

Any other suggestions would be great too

Advice would be very much appreciated please

2. J

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

Looks like you did some research and are on the right track. You are correct about the Orchid. The captive bred Orchid Dottyback is the only Dottyback I ever recommend to people due to the more docile nature and vibrant coloration that they have. The only concern I would have about the hawkfish would be if you end up with a small Bangaii. I have a PJ Cardinal and until it reaches close to full size, a hawkfish could definitely make a meal out of it. Just be aware that the labeling of ANY clownfish as Peaceful is a misnomer. ALL CLOWNFISH are territorial/semi-aggressive to some degree. The Occ variety tend to be on the lower end of the spectrum though.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you!! Ive been told to add the Clownfish last as well. The Bangaii Cardinals that are usually in stock are only 3cms.....
    I think id rather the Cardinal over the Hawkfish.
    Will definitely look at the Orchid Dottyback then if I can get a captive bred one. Such a great colour!
    So if I skip the Hawkfish I could go with flasher wrasse maybe or eould something like a coral beauty work? Would be nice to have a different shaped fish in there like that?

Id love some advice on whether

Ocellaris Clownfish
    Watchman Goby
    Banded Coral Shrimp
    Orchid Dottyback
    Bangaii Cardinal
    Flasher wrasse/Coral Beauty/??

Would be ok as a good stocking level. Don't want cramped and unhappy fish

4. OP
    OP
    L

Ive just been reading through old forum topics and the Coral Banded Shrimp might not be ok...... lots of people saying its killed their other fish!!!!
    Cant have that!!!

5. J

The flasher wrasse would be a better fit for the tank. The coral beauty is a very active fish and can be on the aggressive side. I just put one in my 90 gallon and for the most part it is well behaved but it can definitely be a bit pugnacious (my wife even observed it once or twice doing a little chase on my Yellow Tang which is twice it's size and can be a bit aggressive itself).

6. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

My coral beauty and Kile tang would constantly get in little skirmishes. The main aggressor though was the tang.

7. Jayd976

I’d get a pair of clowns. They do better and are happier in pairs.

8. J

I got lucky and managed to find the Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty in the same holding tank at my LFS and got to watch them together. Personally I think what my wife observed was more of a dominance thing, my Yellow and Coral Beauty most of the time tend to hang out with one another and even share the same hiding cave/tunnel in my live rock at night.

9. Jayd976

Yeah, my tang was first in tank so he was trying to show the CB who was boss.

10. J

I added mine both at the same time to a tank well established with algae. Those two factors have probably helped.

11. OP
    OP
    L

Would having a pair of clowns be worse for aggression?

Shame about the Coral Beauty id prefer it over the Flasher Wrasse but tring to minimise to many issues with good choices now.

12. OP
    OP
    L

Also would the Cardinal be ok on its own someone else on fb said theyre better in groups which isn't an option. Wanted to check

13. J

The coral beauty gets between 4 and 5 inches when fully grown and is very stock and even my smaller one is very active and all over my 90 gallon tank. People have kept Coral Beauties with success for a while in tanks smaller than 50 gallons but your odds of failure go up significantly if you don't have a 4 foot long tank. If you are dead set on having an Angel in your 50 gallon you could try a cheubfish, they are very active but max out at around 3 inches in length (might be a bit on the aggressive side, so add them last):

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+455&pcatid=455

As for the Cardinal, I couldn't say for sure on the Banggai, but my PJ seems to do just fine on it's own.

14. OP
    OP
    L

My tank now is 4ft long. Its set up as a freshwater tank (aquaone horizon 182) so im tempted to sell it and ive been looking at the aquareef 275.
    Its more of a cube shape so might not be ok for the angel but its an extra 12 g (72 gallons) and would fit perfectly in the corner of the loungeroom which would be nicer! I can sell my freshwater tank with all the equipment and accessories for a decent price and put it towards the new tank.

15. J

Just me but I find the standard rectangular tanks with maximization of the length dimension to be the most useful. Don't get me wrong, height, width and length are all important to an extent but the horizontal swimming space gives the fish the most usable dimension. My 90 gallon tank is just over 2 feet deep and I hardly see any of my fish in the top few inches of my tank, they do make some use of the width, but they certainly make the most use of the length of the tank.

16. OP
    OP
    L

The freshwater tank now is on a tv cabinet (reinforced with steel) it has an open area then drawers that are about 30cms high. No room for equipment

If I were to get it the tank is 70cms x 70cms x 77cms H

Its a larger tank by 12g but wouldnt put to much in there

Ocellaris Clownfish
    Orchid Dottyback
    Bangaii Cardinal
    Watchman Goby
    Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Or

Ocellaris Clownfish
    Purple Firefish
    Firefish
    Watchman Goby
    Bangaii Cardinal
    Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

17. J

I would go with the first list. Firefish are often timid and hide a lot and even two firefish of different species can pick each other off. I just think the Orchid Dottyback will give you more bang for buck. My Purple Firefish was the number one target of any semi-assertive fish in my tank and ended up spending most of it's time hiding in it's cave.