Stocking advice for a 60G tank

Sordfish

Over the years I only kept small schooling fish like tetras or rasboras since my focus was on high tech plants. I’d now like to try my hand at larger tank where the focus is on the fish.

I am staring a 60G tank with dimensions of 36” x 21” x 21”. It is a reef ready tank with a 15G sump. It’ll have gravel/fluorite as substrate. It’ll be medium to low light with some plants.

I am trying to decide on the stocking. Here are my current thoughts:

1 Angelfish
3 Pearl gouramis -1m 2F or 3m - I rarely see females
8 red eye tetras
6 -8 harlequin rasboras
10-12 cories.
A cleaner crew of amano shrimp and nerite snails (and probably the mini rams horn which inevitably come with plants)

Any thoughts on the above? I’d really like to have fish with personalities and presence. I liked my gouramis - I kept honeys before. I loved my apistos. Hence the reason for the pearl gourami and angelfish. Any suggestions as an alternative to the angel or the pearls? I should point out that I also prefer calmer peaceful tanks.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Angels prefer groups of at least 4. I think you could even do your current stock but with 4 angels. Though I have heard pearls can be quite aggressive and may nip the fins of the angel.

WRWAquarium

Just be mindful if you have more than 1 angel and a breeding pair forms there will be aggression.

I really enjoyed keeping angels as juveniles but I had to rehome 1 male after a female died and will be rehoming my remaining adult pair as they dive bomb my hands in the tank and bully the catfish to protect the spawn site.

I really like the stocking ideas. I would probably do a high flow set up with denisons barbs and some smaller robust schoolers as I have always wanted those.

SouthAmericanCichlids

If 2 pair off, I would remove the other 2.

Sordfish

If 2 pair off, I would remove the other 2.
Thanks. I actually do not want paired angels. I had a paired apisto Borelli, which are very gentle dwarf cichlids. However, whenever they spawned, the female, who is 1” long would terrorize the tank. Would chase the honey gouramis relentlessly. All the fish, including the male, would retreat to one corner of the tank. And they spawned every two months. I moved the female into different tank in the end and everyone was happy from there on- though the coloration of the female disappeared .

I can only imagine the mayhem with paired 6” angels. That’s why I only want one.

I had thought that cichlids are ok being alone. Certainly the dwarfs are. And I have seen many people keep just one Angel. But I never kept any angles. In your experience, just one angel will not work?
Angels prefer groups of at least 4. I think you could even do your current stock but with 4 angels. Though I have heard pearls can be quite aggressive and may nip the fins of the angel.
I suggested Pearls because I have heard they are the gentlest of large Gourami. I have only kept honey gourami and they are like lamb. However, I did hear that when breeding pearls may become territorial. Perhaps I should get 2 male Pearls?

What is everyone’s experience with Pearls?

Sordfish

I've kept a single angel fish in my 65 with tetras, rainbowfish, etc for about 1-1/2 year with no issues.

As far as experience with pearl gouramis, see School of Pearl Gouramis? | Aquarium Stocking Forum | 479129.
Thanks for your feedback. I’ll check out the link now.
I've kept a single angel fish in my 65 with tetras, rainbowfish, etc for about 1-1/2 year with no issues.

As far as experience with pearl gouramis, see School of Pearl Gouramis? | Aquarium Stocking Forum | 479129.
Wow. That’s quite the setup you have. Beautiful to boot. But I must say you are far more brave than I 9 Pearls and bunch of serpea tetras. Though it looks like it is working out for you. That makes me hopeful that even if I get 3 males it may work out - it is hard to know which are females at the size they sell them. Although I don’t plan to have this tank as heavily planted. There should still be plenty of hiding places. And hopefully red eye tetras are not as aggressive. Another fish I have never kept.

Here is my tank. Doing a leak test on the tank and the plumbing. Also soaking the wood.

ProudPapa

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll check out the link now.

Wow. That’s quite the setup you have. Beautiful to boot. But I must say you are far more brave than I 9 Pearls and bunch of serpea tetras. Though it looks like it is working out for you. That makes me hopeful that even if I get 3 males it may work out - it is hard to know which are females at the size they sell them. Although I don’t plan to have this tank as heavily planted. There should still be plenty of hiding places. And hopefully red eye tetras are not as aggressive. Another fish I have never kept.

Here is my tank. Doing a leak test on the tank and the plumbing. Also soaking the wood.

I firmly believe that the reputation serpae tetras have for fun nipping is undeserved, and will rarely be an issue of they're kept in large enough groups (and the group doesn't need to be that large). They're beautiful hardy fish, and I hate to see people pass over them because of a perceived problem that isn't likely to happen if they have enough of their own species to hold their attention.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Angelfish are more social fish naturally, especially when they are juveniles. They can survive alone, but they would prefer a group.

Sordfish

Angelfish are more social fish naturally, especially when they are juveniles. They can survive alone, but they would prefer a group.
Thanks for clarifying. I now understand why you suggested 4 juveniles. I guess they are kind of like discus. What do you think of getting 4 and if 2 pair off, rehoming the paired two and keeping the ones that are not paired? Or is having 2 unpaired adults problematic?

Noroomforshoe

I firmly believe that the reputation serpae tetras have for fun nipping is undeserved, and will rarely be an issue of they're kept in large enough groups (and the group doesn't need to be that large). They're beautiful hardy fish, and I hate to see people pass over them because of a perceived problem that isn't likely to happen if they have enough of their own species to hold their attention.
I had 8 serpea tetras in a 55-gallon tank, they were nasty aggressive tail chasers, but I found them a great home with someone who had a school of them and claimed to have no issues whith the species.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Over the years I only kept small schooling fish like tetras or rasboras since my focus was on high tech plants. I’d now like to try my hand at larger tank where the focus is on the fish.

I am staring a 60G tank with dimensions of 36” x 21” x 21”. It is a reef ready tank with a 15G sump. It’ll have gravel/fluorite as substrate. It’ll be medium to low light with some plants.

I am trying to decide on the stocking. Here are my current thoughts:

1 Angelfish
3 Pearl gouramis -1m 2F or 3m - I rarely see females
8 red eye tetras
6 -8 harlequin rasboras
10-12 cories.
A cleaner crew of amano shrimp and nerite snails (and probably the mini rams horn which inevitably come with plants)

Any thoughts on the above? I’d really like to have fish with personalities and presence. I liked my gouramis - I kept honeys before. I loved my apistos. Hence the reason for the pearl gourami and angelfish. Any suggestions as an alternative to the angel or the pearls? I should point out that I also prefer calmer peaceful tanks.
This is different than what u have but I noticed u said u wanted fish with personality maybe if ur up to it try African cichlids I have a 72 bow front with mbunas and peacocks and I can watch them for hours but u gotta b ready to deal with aggression and do carful research when stocking what ever u decide I’m sure u will enjoy

SouthAmericanCichlids

Read the part on tank size, there is my complete explanation on it:

Angelfish Care

Sordfish

This is different than what u have but I noticed u said u wanted fish with personality maybe if ur up to it try African cichlids I have a 72 bow front with mbunas and peacocks and I can watch them for hours but u gotta b ready to deal with aggression and do carful research when stocking what ever u decide I’m sure u will enjoy
I considered setting up a cichlid tank. I think I’d enjoy the fish. But I wanted something with plants. I figured planted cichlid tank would be an uphill battle. So decided against it.
Read the part on tank size, there is my complete explanation on it:

Angelfish Care
Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s awesome. How long have you been keeping Angels? I am looking forward to building the kind of expertise that only long years of hands-on experience can bring - I have only been keeping fish for 5 years myself. Meanwhile I rely on research. But of course research is no substitute for experience.

I’d love to learn about your observations of the kind of behavior that lead you to conclude that 1 Angel will suffer. I ask because a lot of sites (including the official posts re Angels on this site) state that 1 is fine. But clearly you have experienced otherwise, so it’d be good to know.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I considered setting up a cichlid tank. I think I’d enjoy the fish. But I wanted something with plants. I figured planted cichlid tank would be an uphill battle. So decided against it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s awesome. How long have you been keeping Angels? I am looking forward to building the kind of expertise that only long years of hands-on experience can bring - I have only been keeping fish for 5 years myself. Meanwhile I rely on research. But of course research is no substitute for experience.

I’d love to learn about your observations of the kind of behavior that lead you to conclude that 1 Angel will suffer. I ask because a lot of sites (including the official posts re Angels on this site) state that 1 is fine. But clearly you have experienced otherwise, so it’d be good to know.
I have had 3 years of experience, but these years are where I've grown the most, so, in other words, casualties. And when I had 2 angels, one had to be separated from the other angel, the alone angelfish lost most of its color almost always, which is a sign of stress (Very visible in silver angels), and this went for months, while I was trying to retrieve new angels (of certain color varieties). But once I got him buddies, he got his color back.

Also, the ones on this side, are not at all from experience, merely from copy pasting other sites. At least the ones that aren't threads. I don't trust this site for info, unless it's posted by a member.

Sordfish

I guess I’ll table Angels for now. They are potentially aggressive ( and possibly even lonely unless they are surrounded by others of their kind they can harass - just kidding ;) ) and may be too much trouble.

Any suggestions for an alternative community cichlid from anyone? What about Kribensis?

Sordfish

After some research, it looks like Kribs are plant diggers and Bolivian rams require sand - I am going with gravel. I may simply add a male Apisto. I know they do well with plants and gravel and are quite peaceful when single.

Still open to other suggestions.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Stock question.
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies