Stocking Advice for a 15gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hiya folks,

I have a 15 gallon planted tank with 6 Zebra Danio's and 1 Mystery Snail right now. I don't personnally have a test kit but I do take samples to my local petsmart for twice a week tests. They tell me everything is good and my water is in great shape.

I love my danio's but I'd like to add 1 or 2 more bigger fish. The danio's are super fast and fun to watch but I'd like to mix up the tank a bit and get something that's a little more relaxed and perhaps a bit bigger.

Is there a fish out there that will work with my setup? or am I already at my fish limit for my small tank?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, welcome to fishlore!

hmmm, what could you add. you're pretty close to your limit, but maybe you could add a couple platys (males). i have two and they are cute. one is a mickey mouse, and the other a speckle-y black tail. the add some color and aren't crazy like danios. i don't think the speed of the zebras would irritate the platys, but i'm not completely sure. i'll think of anything else that could work......

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are a couple of issues youre facing. First is a small tank. There aren't many bigger fish that are good for a 15 gallon tank. Second is the danios. They are so active that they can stress out more relaxed fish. The combination of super active fish in a small tank doesn't leave many options, I'm sorry to say.

OP
T

Tanen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the replies folks,

I guess instead of saying bigger I should have said different shape and temperment. I like the idea of a couple of platy's but I don't want to be overstocked and I don't want to have any stressed out fish.

In hindsight i wish i had researched the danio's a bit more. They are cool fish but I'd prefer something a bit more sedate.

OP
T

Tanen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was afraid that the danio's might be too active for another fish. If I upgrade to a larger tank could I then keep the danio's and add other fish as well? or are they just more suited to a tank dedicated to themselves?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you got a bigger tank you would have more options, yes.

In the 15 you could add some dwarf crayfish. They're really neat little buggers. you could probably get a dwarf gourami.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore!

With adding tetras you would want a group of 5 or more which might put the tank at it's max. I would defently stay away from livebearers, unless you get a male or 2.

I liked the glofish idea because they're the same fish as your zebras so you would have to change anything with your tank water/temp.

Butters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could go with a honey gourami. They stay about 2 inches and are really pretty when they color up. I have one with zebra danios and if anything they have made my gourami less shy.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Keep an open mind please..
Keeping an open mind about such things isn't usually the way to go, in my opnion. It worked for you, but you admit that you said MAYBE because you recognise there could be an issue. Why recommend something you know is less likely to work, especially when you don't know if the OP has an alternate home for the fish or not. If you are a person with multiple tanks who could switch fish around in a pinch, keeping an open mind is fine. But if you aren't that person, then an open mind is the last thing you need. You'd be better served if you made cautious decisions, especially if you are a brand new fishkeeper.

Just my two cents.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Keeping an open mind about such things isn't usually the way to go, in my opnion. It worked for you, but you admit that you said MAYBE because you recognise there could be an issue. Why recommend something you know is less likely to work, especially when you don't know if the OP has an alternate home for the fish or not. If you are a person with multiple tanks who could switch fish around in a pinch, keeping an open mind is fine. But if you aren't that person, then an open mind is the last thing you need. You'd be better served if you made cautious decisions, especially if you are a brand new fishkeeper.

Just my two cents.
Because the situation might work out fine? And on the other things, thats the OP decision. Its their decision to take my advice or not. It was just a suggestion. Its not like I'm forcing the person to go out and buy them.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My honey gourami is about 4 inches and that may get too big for the tankspace thats left now my dwarf neon blue is about 2.5 inches but even at that they are in a 20 gallon tank. I have a glofish in with them and they dont bother it and the glofish are quick so a glofish may be the answer, other than that maybe some little neons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom