Stocking advice: compatibility & recommend mouth-brooder? Question

1. newfishgal Initiate Member

Hi there,

I have recently set-up a planted freshwater aquarium (75 gallons) and am currently planing the fish stock. Here's what's on the list so far:

- 7 Rosy barbs (3 male, 4 female)
    - 4 angel fish (2 male, 2 female)
    - 6 small cory's (would like Adolfo's but don't know if I can find them)
    - 1 siamese flying fox

I would like to add one more school to the above but I am still debating which one. I would like something that shoals; is colourful; is active but not aggressive; and won't be bothered by the above fish. It would be nice as well if they were small or had a different body shape to the ones above - i.e. some contrast. Some of the ones that have made the short list are:
    - 10-15 Harlequin rasboras
    - 8-10 red-blue columbian tetras (down-side is similar body shape to the rosy barbs)
    - other suggestions? I would love cardinal tetras but I think they are too small to be with the angels.

The other thing I am wondering is if I can add a pair of medium sized mouth-brooding cichlids that are reasonably non-aggressive to this mix. Some of the books that I have read suggest that there are such things but I have yet to find the right one. Any suggestions?
    My reason for adding this pair is that I think they would be really neat for my 4 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter to watch.

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!!!!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

3. kacie Member Member

I'm don't think these fish are compatible with the Angels but if you wanted mouthbrooders I'd research eartheaters. Try Cichlid Forums cookie cutters for good stocking ideas.