Stocking Advice And A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Heather L, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Heather L

Heather L Valued Member Member

Hi, I could use some advice please,

I have a 55 gallon, planted tank. I'm running Fuval 406 filter and waiting for a Finnex 24/7 to arrive to replace my current light. My parameters are 0-0-20 and my ph is 7. My water temp is 75, but that can go up :)

Currently my tank houses 2 - 5 inch comets (that are about to be moved back into my garden pond), 4 green lantern platys and 3 nerite snails.

When the goldies move I would like to stock my tank with:
    11 Rummynose Tetras
    7 Panda Corydoras
    9 marble Hatchet Fish
    and a pair of apisto gamma Cacatvoides
    + the 4 platys and 3 nerite snails currently housed in the tank

Does this seem like a good mix? Bio-load okay? Could I, should I add a few Ammano Shrimp?

Questions-
    I have Eco Complete substrate, I read that Panda Corys like sand so I covered half the substrate in black sand. Is this good enough?

I have read that Panda Corys release a toxin that can be fatal to them when stressed. How do I ensure safe transportation home, and stress free acclimation?

I've had Water Hyacynth in the tank for a few years, (it does well, but stays stunted and does not propagate quickly), will this be enough shade to keep the Hatchet Fish comfortable? Does anyone have a better suggestion? I have a lid on my tank :)

Thank You

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

The cories may like lower temperatures than everyone else. For your tetras and the apisto's it'd have to go up from 75 for sure. Amano shrimp, like all shrimp don't affect the bioload. Maybe keep the pandas somewhere dark when you're in the car driving home, then acclimate them very slowly? Not sure on that.

3. OP
    OP
    Heather L

Thank you. Should I not get the Panda Corys and go with something else? If so what would you suggest?

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    You're stocking sounds okay to me.
    Most shrimps, including Amano Shrimp have a high metabolism and will poop a lot if you feed them a lot.
    Personally, I think you're current stocking is enough, but 3-4 Amano Shrimp couldn't hurt.

Corydoras do release a toxin to "self poison" themselves. They only produce these toxins when they are under extreme stress. I've had my fair share of Corydoras keeping, none of mine have died to this "self poisoning", at least I'm not aware of any that "self poisoned" themselves.

One way to reduce stress in acclimation is drip acclimate. I'll include a link to website which explains more on drip acclimation, because it's too long for me to explain : Aquarium Acclimation: Employ the Drip Method to Reduce Aquarium Acclimation Stress

The water hyacanth should do fine with th Hatchetfish however, remember to have a lid on you're tank. Hatchetfish are known to jump out of tanks.

5. OP
    OP
    Heather L

Thank You. Will the Corys be okay at 78 degrees?

6. Ed204

Panda Cories will thrive in tempretures from 72-76, so they should do fine.
    Like I explained above, shrimps have high metabolism which means if you feed them more they will poop more.

They'll do fine IMO. Here is thread about Panda Cories: Question - Panda Corys

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

78 F is too high for panda cories.

You don't want to keep fish outside of their natural range, or even at the extreme ends of their range.

The panda cories are not temperature compatible with rummynose tetra.

8. Ed204

If you ask people like @MikeRad89 , Panda Cories will still be able to thrive in that tempreture.

9. TexasDomer

I tend to be more conservative, and go by the published, reliable sources. 78 F is outside of their range, and they should experience shorter lives as a result of being kept in this temp permanently.

10. OP
    OP
    Heather L

Thank you. I don't want to stretch a fishes limits or cause stress. Can you suggest a bottom feeder that would be a better choice for me? I really want to be sensitive about my bio load, and compatability too. My goal is, obviously, to have the healthiest tank possible.

11. TexasDomer

Kuhli loaches are fine at 77-78 F (lowest I'd keep rummynose), as are Sterbai cories and bronze cories. Platies and rummynose don't have enough temp though.

12. sheehanje

sheehanje Valued Member Member

If you want lower Temps try appisto borrelli.

13. sheehanje

sheehanje Valued Member Member

And if you want a cory that does better in slightly higher temperature - I have emerald green Cory's in 78F tank. Very hardy cory. My tank accidentally went up to 86F and they are no worse from it.

14. OP
    OP
    Heather L

Thank you, I am unfamiliar with that fish. I'll check it out

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with TD, panda cories will have shortened lifespans at 78. They may seem like they do fine but in reality their metabolism speeds up and takes many years off their life.

16. OP
    OP
    Heather L

Thank you, I will pass on the Panda Cories.
    Do you think any cories could work?

The Rummynose are the fish I would like to stock around.

Sadly the Platys are reproducing like mad, but my LFS will take the surviving fry and all my males. This will leave me with 2.

So,
    11x Rummy Nose
    7x Hatchet Fish (if/when I can find them)
    2x Apistogramma Cacatouides
    3 Nerite snails

And ???? For the bottom.

Does this look okay? Over stocked?

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

17. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Seems to me like you actually have some room for more fish. I'm no stocking expert but I'd say there's a decent amount left. Not sure on the cories, though.

18. TexasDomer

Sterbai, bronze, or emerald cories would work!

In a 55 gal, I'd do something like this:

20x Rummy Nose
    12-20x Hatchet Fish (12 or so of the larger, silver hatchets or 20 of the smaller marbled hatchets)
    2x Apistogramma Cacatouides
    3 Nerite snails
    10-15x Cories (one species, of the ones listed above)

19. OP
    OP
    Heather L

Thank You!!
    That's what I'll do.

Yay! I'm feel just giddy to have this nailed down!
    What a beautiful tank this will be (I think )

I appreciate everyone's help and am so glad that I have found this forum. I've loved exploring different topics and learning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice