Stocking A Ten Gallon!

Fancyfins

HI all, after the loss of my Betta, I’ve decided not to get any more of them. I’ve been looking for another fish (Or a couple.) that could go into the ten gallon, and I’ve heard that some types of danios would be okay in one. So here’s my setup right now.

- Ten gallon tank.
- Three mystery snails.
- A few plants. (Planning to add more plants and maybe a large piece of driftwood.)
- Fully cycled.
- Adjustable heater. (Currently at 78* F.)
- AquaClear 20.

So, I was wondering what types of fish I could add. A few different types would be nice, even if they were small. Or a couple larger fish would be okay. I know my options are limited, but I’m hoping it’ll work!
Thanks in advance!

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

I’ve heard that zebra danios will work, is that true?

WTFish?

Well Known
I have cpd’s and Pygmy cories (habrosus, even though people poo on that idea in my 10g, I love it. Also, 2 mystery snails and a nerite.

AquaMan3640

If you’re up for the challenge of food, a small colony of scarlet badis would be super cool! I might have to do it with mine

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

AquaMan3640 said:
If you’re up for the challenge of food, a small colony of scarlet badis would be super cool! I might have to do it with mine
I was looking at scarlet badis, and I thought they were so cool! But there’s the challenge of food, and I’m almost positive no one has them around here..

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Fancyfins said:
I’ve heard that zebra danios will work, is that true?
Zebra danios are very active and need much more room to swim. Gold ring danios or celestial pearl danios will work in a 10 gallon though.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

BottomDweller said:
Zebra danios are very active and need much more room to swim. Gold ring danios or celestial pearl danios will work in a 10 gallon though.
Are there any other danios besides gold ring and celestial pearl? They don’t sell any of those nearby.. I’ve heard of White Cloud Mountain minnows, though. Would those work? And if I did choose danios, could I put anything else in? Or just danios?

PubliusVA

Emerald dwarf rasboras are closely related to celestial pearl danios, and in my area at least are easier to find. Those should work too. There’s also endler’s livebearers or endler guppies. Or you could do like 3 male platies.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

PubliusVA said:
Emerald dwarf rasboras are closely related to celestial pearl danios, and in my area at least are easier to find. Those should work too. There’s also endler’s livebearers or endler guppies. Or you could do like 3 male platies.
They don’t sell emerald dwarf rasboras here. Endlers livebearers look amazing but believe it or not, they don’t sell them anywhere close to me! Platies seem like an option, I’ll consider them.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known
If you have a local fish store, or even a Petco, ask if they can special order. My Petco ordered me the galaxy rasboras, and they were only $3.50 each.

imba

Well Known
Regular White Cloud Minnows will need min 20 gallon.

How about some Rasbora Maculata or Rasboras KubotaI with maybe some nice Cherry Shrimp.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

What about guppies? How many could I keep in there? And could I do all male?

Giul

Well Known
Fancyfins said:
I wouldn’t do all males, I’d add 2/3 female guppies for every male

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Fancyfins said:
Are there any other danios besides gold ring and celestial pearl? They don’t sell any of those nearby.. I’ve heard of White Cloud Mountain minnows, though. Would those work? And if I did choose danios, could I put anything else in? Or just danios?
Wcmm need a bigger tank.

You could have 8 danios and 2 peacock gobies or 8 danios and 3-4 asian stone cats. You could add shrimp and snails too.
Fancyfins said:
I would recommend 3 or 4 females but 5or 6 males could work.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known
You could do all Male guppies I would go with 5, that was the magic number for me when I had an all Male guppy tank.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

BottomDweller said:
Wcmm need a bigger tank.

You could have 8 danios and 2 peacock gobies or 8 danios and 3-4 asian stone cats. You could add shrimp and snails too.

I would recommend 3 or 4 females but 5or 6 males could work.
I can’t get peacock gobies, or any type of danio besides wcmm or zebra danios. I also don’t want guppy fry. If I do male guppies, could I do another fish or two with it?

GuppyGuy007

Well Known
Probably no other fish, most other fish of that size are schoolers, so there won't be enough room.
You could do
2-3 Male Guppies
And
3-4 Male Endlers, but you said you cast get endlers in your area.
I would stick to 5 Male Guppies, with some red cherry shrimp(Petco has these), and a snail or two.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Fancyfins said:
I can’t get peacock gobies, or any type of danio besides wcmm or zebra danios. I also don’t want guppy fry. If I do male guppies, could I do another fish or two with it?
If you get male guppies you need at least 5 to spread out aggression so you couldn't add any other fish.
The reason I recommended females rather than males is because a group of males would be best in a large group in a larger tank so there is less agression. A small group in a 10 gallon is a bit risky.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

What about platies? (I know I’m asking a ton but I want to consider my choices )

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

For the fish said:
Dwarf gourami's are gorgeous fish. How about that with 6 Neon Tetras?
I was thinking about a dwarf gourami, but I’m worried about dwarf gouramI disease (forgot what the actual name is..). I also thought neon tetras needed a bigger tank, but I could be wrong.

For the fish

Dwarf GouramI disease can be a problem with them, but with a cycled, heated, and filtered tank, you have a good chance that your dwarf gouramI will be healthy. As for the neons, yes a 15 gallon is better, but a 10 is doable for 5-6.

Discus-Tang

Well Known
For the fish said:
Dwarf GouramI disease can be a problem with them, but with a cycled, heated, and filtered tank, you have a good chance that your dwarf gouramI will be healthy. As for the neons, yes a 15 gallon is better, but a 10 is doable for 5-6.
They actually require a 24" tank, so ten gallons will not suffice for run-of-the-mill neon tetras.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

For the fish said:
Oh, nice! I might consider that then, with green neons. Not officially yet though!

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

Discus-Tang said:
If you want gouramis I'd stick to sparkling gouramis. IMO they are the only type suited to ten gallons.
I can’t get sparkling gouramis around here. ☹ I’ve been seriously considering platies though. Could I do a couple males?

GuppyGuy007

Well Known
I would not do plates. I have found that they produce way too much waste for a ten gallon system to deal with, that's just my experience.

georgelee1000

Well Known
fishlover001 said:
I would not do plates. I have found that they produce way too much waste for a ten gallon system to deal with, that's just my experience.
I kinda agree and disagree. Yes platy produces a lot of bioload. But if you don’t overstock and has a good filtration(seems this guy has). I don’t see the prob with keeping platy in a 10gal. They are active and very fun to watch.

I would not do ramshorn snail in a 10 gal. Mystery is the way to go if you don’t want any baby. Just get one of them. You are set.

Jkxng05

georgelee1000 said:
I would not do ramshorn snail in a 10 gal. Mystery is the way to go if you don’t want any baby. Just get one of them. You are set.
I would go with a ramshorn even if they reproduce. The babies get the job done faster for me. I have a Betta and Mollies to eat the tiny ones and the eggs to keep it down.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

Alright, I’m seriously considering platy’s now. I don’t want any fry at all. So could I do all females? And how many?

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

Also, this is probably a really stupid question, but different colored platy’s can go together, right?

GuppyGuy007

Well Known
Yes, they can.
You can do all females, but you will still have dry because at the store, they are in a tank with males.
You could get all males, and if you only did platies, Maybe get three or four

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

fishlover001 said:
Yes, they can.
You can do all females, but you will still have dry because at the store, they are in a tank with males.
You could get all males, and if you only did platies, Maybe get three or four
Oh, right. I totally forgot about that.. I might do three males then.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
I would definitely not recommend male platies. You wouldn't have room for more than 4 or so and if you're keeping males then you want a large group to spread out aggression and a bigger tank so they have room to get away from eachother.
Fancyfins said:
Alright, I’m seriously considering platy’s now. I don’t want any fry at all. So could I do all females? And how many?
The females you get will probably be pregnant. A group of virgin females is best. I have 6 female platies (4 are virgins) in my 63 gallon.
You could do 3 females in a 10 gallon.

OP
Fancyfins

Fancyfins

This is pretty confusing, and I’m *really* tempted to get another betta.. I don’t know if I should, though!

HelloThere

I'd be careful with guppies, they're so inbred that it's hard to find a good healthy one, that doesn't have some type of disease. I have killed over 40 guppies from the LFS cause of this, I bought a couple from a breeder, and they are still thriving. So just try not to buy from a pet store/LFS.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
Fancyfins said:
Dont do all females. They could be pregnant or have stored sperm when you buy them. Go all males. Males are more colorfull anyways. Platy males will not fight eachother if there are no females. You can get up to 5 platys, no more.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
King o´ Angelfish said:
Dont do all females. They could be pregnant or have stored sperm when you buy them. Go all males. Males are more colorfull anyways. Platy males will not fight eachother if there are no females. You can get up to 5 platys, no more.
Male platies are exactly the same colours as females.
They should not fight if there are females around because they are busy trying to mate wuth femakes rather than fighting. If their are no females they are generally more agitated and will usually fight if there are just 2 or 3.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
BottomDweller said:
Male platies are exactly the same colours as females.
They should not fight if there are females around because they are busy trying to mate wuth femakes rather than fighting. If their are no females they are generally more agitated and will usually fight if there are just 2 or 3.
Every male platy that I have gotten has ALWAYS had brighter colors than the female. I'm not saying their colors are different, I'm saying the males have MORE color, as in their color stands out more. My females colors don't shine. My males do. And they both get the same food. I have a 40 gallon with 10 males, zero females. When I had females the aggression was noticeably more than without. Part of trying to mate with the female includes getting rid of competition. I would see my more dominant males dance around a female, and when another male would get close, it would stop everything and chase it away. All male is preferable, no chance of babies, and aggression won't be a problem.

georgelee1000

Well Known
I think because females often get chased by the males. They have less color possibly due to stress. It’s true. My male platy has more color. Not a lot. But noticeable.

New Threads