Stocking A Tank

FishLogger123456789

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I could put these fish in a 30 gallon 24,18,18 fish tank.

Pleco Zebra: Temperature 79-86° F, pH 6.5-7.0 (Bottom) Amount: 1
Salt and Pepper Cory: Temperature: 77° - 80° F pH: 6.0 - 8.0 (Middle to Bottom) Amount: 6-9
German Ram Blue cichlid: Temperature 72-79° F, pH 5.0-7.4 (Middle to bottom) Amount: 2-4
Bloodfin tetra: Temperature 70-80° F, pH: 6-8 (Top) Amount: 6-12

Thanks

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's the thing. German Blue Rams like REALLY warm water. To thrive, we're talking 84-86 which makes it tough to keep Corys with them.. Now, lots of people, myself included, keep them down to 80-82, which makes it possible to put Corys with them. You CAN do it, and Salt & Peppered are ones you CAN do, along with Emerald, Albino & Sterbai. The problem is, its not an ideal temp for either. Ive got some Rams with Emerald Corys right now at 82. The Rams are 2 1/2, the Corys are around 9. But that's just me.

Zebra Plecos like high temps too, so no issue there.

Bloodfins are a Tetra that like low 80's, so that's a go.

If you REALLY want the Corys and you get Salt and Pepper (NOT Peppered, they ARE different) then Id do this:

1 German Blue Ram. Unless you KNOW its a paired male and female, DO NOT risk putting 2 in a 30 gallon. They WILL try to kill each other.

1 Zebra Pleco

10-15 Salt & Pepper Corys (theyre smaller, you can do more)

15ish Bloodfin Tetras

That could be a pretty cool tank actually. I have a few similar tanks with Black Neons, Clown Plecos, S&P Corys, SterbaI Corys, Emerald Corys, GBR's and Hatchetfish.

OP
F

FishLogger123456789

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Here's the thing. German Blue Rams like REALLY warm water. To thrive, we're talking 84-86 which makes it tough to keep Corys with them.. Now, lots of people, myself included, keep them down to 80-82, which makes it possible to put Corys with them. You CAN do it, and Salt & Peppered are ones you CAN do, along with Emerald, Albino & Sterbai. The problem is, its not an ideal temp for either. Ive got some Rams with Emerald Corys right now at 82. The Rams are 2 1/2, the Corys are around 9. But that's just me.

Zebra Plecos like high temps too, so no issue there.

Bloodfins are a Tetra that like low 80's, so that's a go.

If you REALLY want the Corys and you get Salt and Pepper (NOT Peppered, they ARE different) then Id do this:

1 German Blue Ram. Unless you KNOW its a paired male and female, DO NOT risk putting 2 in a 30 gallon. They WILL try to kill each other.

1 Zebra Pleco

10-15 Salt & Pepper Corys (theyre smaller, you can do more)

15ish Bloodfin Tetras

That could be a pretty cool tank actually. I have a few similar tanks with Black Neons, Clown Plecos, S&P
Corys, SterbaI Corys, Emerald Corys, GBR's and Hatchetfish.

Thanks but, I was maybe thinking of getting a even bigger tank like a 40 Gallon, would it be possible to have 1 pleco zebra, 6-10 salt and pepper corys, 2-4 german blue rams, 10 blood fin tetras and 10 rummy nose tetras?

Am I over stocking maybe under stocking?

Could I had more of a certain type?

Thanks again.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really can't keep GBR's together unless you are CERTAIN its a mating pair. Once they hit adulthood, they become SUPER aggressive and fight non stop. At least that's been my experience.

You CAN do two schools of Tetras. I personally don't like 2 small schools of mid column fish in a smaller tank. Id rather do a big school of a single species. I think its more pleasing to the eye. But again, that's just me.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My GBRs have always been super docile. I’ve had about 8.

New Threads