Stocking a storefront tank?! 110 Gallon Tank 

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all! I have a question. I set up this tank for someones shop, pretty big, 72x18x either 20 or 23, I'm assuming its somwhere between 110 and 125 gallons, well all he wants is neons and a couple of big fish, what would be your suggestions as to exactly how many neons could he have before it becomes to many? I was thinking a massive school of neons with a few angels and maybes some type of cool "neon friendly" large catfish, is such an amazing fish exists, I need help on this one people! let your imaginations rip!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The problem with mixing up big fish and little fish is that big fish tend to eat little fish. As a display tank, I would go with some bright colored community type fish, something eye catching and fun to watch. Schooling fish are great for this, and there are many other options besides just the standard neons. I'm not good with stocking big tanks, but I do suggest that once you narrow down the choices of what you want to put in there, print out some pictures and go over them with him and let him choose, that way you don't have to worry about disappointing him.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hes pretty dead set on the neons but that was definitely my plans, I'm just looking for some creativity on this, I really like the whole "presentation approach" you suggested though, I think ill use that, anyone on the big friendly catfish? anyone?! haha, I know its probably asking to much BUT you never know. Also, I wonder if he might be thinking about glofish instead of neons? Cause he said he wanted the ones that "glowed under the blacklight" which he thinks the actinic bulb that came with the fixture is a blacklight. And ive never heard of neons glowing under black light. hmmmm?.....

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't know the size of the tank, how did you figure out which filtration and heater you needed for it?

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love the idea of neons and angels.....and I believe that if they were to go in all at the same time or do the neons first ...it would help eliminate issues...

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes he's talking about glo-fish, and they are like 4-5 dollars around here, each, so that could get really expensive really quickly. They are actually genetically modified zebra danios. I personally am not into them. A blacklight tank would be cool and all, but for a tank that large, you could set up an AWESOME planted display with some natural river rocks and other decor, that would look 100x nicer and more professional IMO.

You should get some pics from the members tanks here as a reference to what kind of display to set up, and i'd go over this with him as well before doing anything.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My LFS's show tank is a little like that, it's heaveliy planted with cardinal tetras, some harelequin rasboras, chain loaches, few roseline sharks, 4 Angels, some glass catfish, and they recently added 2-3 Discus. It looks amazing, and you can't even see the back of the tank because it's so heavily planted. Hope you get some ideas

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
to the filtration question, he had all the equipment there already, it was three power filters, I'm almost sure its underfiltered though, the power filters were walmart filters one for 60g, one for 30g, and the second one was one of those strange HOB internal type looking filters looked like it was maybe for a 20 or 30 gallon, I suggested he might need additional filtration, and suggested a small canister filter to suppliment what he already has. The only thing that sucks *can I use that word here?* is that this fellah is in texas and I'm heading back to california next friday so a lot of this consultation is going to be over the phone. Also, The heater was a Theo 400w and another off-brand looking heater, looked like it was maybe 100w max. I was concerned because the temperature out of the water out of the hose was 84 degrees and if I had to break to him that he possibly needed a chiller, he might have just said forget it.

Also, with that info on the glofish, I'm certian now it was those because he mentioned how they were like 5 bucks-a-pop

I need to show him the neons, maybe he will go for those, or maybe the cardinals since there a bit larger and could stand up to angels more in a larger group, How would a pearl gouramI fit in with this?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't be too worried about a chiller at this point. The water hose temp is high because its HOT outside, being in florida I know exactly what you mean. The important thing is what temperature the tank stabilizes at where it is set up. If it's indoors in an air conditioned room, it's likely to sit around the mid to upper 70s if it's out of the direct sunlight.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
good point, I think I told him that about the temp, letting it stabalize before stocking, he was so stoked to get his tank up and running. I had to explain to him Cycling and such, he was informed with the "letting it cycle for one day" info. I plan on Introducing him to this site.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that's a good call. If he wants to take the fast route, then a big bottle of TSS is in order. Otherwise its weeks of water changes or fishless cycling, OR lots of dead fish

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think a huge school of neon/cardinals 2 or 3 (or 4) bristlenosed plecos or maybe one of those fancy plecos that are good with plants, 5 angels,and (as long as there are PLENTY of hiding spaces) 2 or 3 (or 4) pearl gouramis.

All heavily planted with some branchy driftwood and river rocks.... ahhh drool

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jetajockey said:
that's a good call. If he wants to take the fast route, then a big bottle of TSS is in order. Otherwise its weeks of water changes or fishless cycling, OR lots of dead fish
Coincidentally, there's a store right across the street that stocks....not one......but.......wait for it...........BOTH sizes of TSS, I about passed out in shock, haha. I exclaimed loudly in the store "you guys carry Safe start?!"
and everyone just stared at me like I was some kind of fish obsessed forum member psycho aquarist ;] haha!

angelfish220 said:
I think a huge school of neon/cardinals 2 or 3 (or 4) bristlenosed plecos or maybe one of those fancy plecos that are good with plants, 5 angels,and (as long as there are PLENTY of hiding spaces) 2 or 3 (or 4) pearl gouramis.

All heavily planted with some branchy driftwood and river rocks.... ahhh drool
I'm really digging this minus the plants, they would have to be plastic cause I really don't think he would fork out for a fixture good enough to grow live plants, that and I told him that was an option, he seemed interested but said it would be too much work. I love the idea though, one of those really really REALLY nice, fancy, expensive plecos, there's a Shop in Thousand Oaks that sells some of those rare Plecos for a nice price, I love the, I think its called a vampire pleco? I don't remember but its aweinspiring.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It doesn't matter if its real plants or fake, as long as the fake plants are placed in groups according to 'species', dense, and tall enough for the tank in the back, it will still create the same effect (just not a prettily for the experienced eye, but most people won't be able to tell the difference).

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
for sure, hes gonna pop at the cost up front, haha, but I'm sure it will be worth it once his customers see it. Ill work up something based on that, Does anyone else have any other ideas? Oh, and, what would be a good number of neons to form a Huge school?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I realize this is a fairly large tank, but he needs to be prepared to continually replenish his neon stock if he has angels. They will eat some.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
also consider that some of the fish suggested really need to go into an established tank, so keep that in mind when you begin with stocking.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've seen display tanks in my LFS with congo tetras and rummy nose (different display tanks). They both look really amazing. The congo tetras have amazing color and the rummy nose (fully grown) also looked really great.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads