Stocking a Small Tank

1. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hi again everyone.
    I've got a 10g that currently has just a small BN pleco in it and I'm looking to add some more to the tank. I was probably going to get 2-3 ghost shrimp, as I've kept them before and think the little guys are quite interesting to watch. However, I was also interested in maybe getting a mystery snail and/or a small group of schooling fish- not sure what kind yet but I would only choose a type that is alright to live in 10g of course.

So my question is this. Each of these things would be alright living in the 10g alone, but can I do them all together? I've just got the standard filter that came with my tank and I only have fake plants. I get the feeling that all these things together might overstock the tank. Thoughts? Would it be best for me to choose just one invert type to go with the fish or am I looking at no inverts at all between the school and the pleco?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I would first rehome your Pleco. My girl is 5 inches long, and I couldn't imaging keeping her in less than a 20 long for any length of time, and she loves all the room she has in her current 30 gallon ;)

You could get much more Ghost Shrimp. I'd start with like 5 or 6, and then let them do their shrimpy-take-over-the-world-thing :) Mystery Snails are just as bad as Plecos. They get to be the size of a golf ball, and more, and need to eat a LOT of food, thus, they poop a lot. How ever, its a better choice than the pleco, and its much more doable :)

I really liked my heavily planted set up with Neon Tetras. If you can get Florida Raised Neon Tetras, you wouldn't be sorry! They very much so live up to the reputation that Tetras are hardy, and push away the whole "Neons are sensitive" thing...

3. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I am planning on getting a bigger tank in the summer, for my birthday. Right now I live in a dorm and can't have more than the single tank, but I'll be living off campus next year and thus able to move the pleco then. So, it's already in the works ;)

Are there any smaller snails that would be good additions, and if so, where might I find them? I'm only working with a Petsmart right now, our lfs went out of business.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That works, too :) I'm in a dorm right now, and I fully understand that rule. Its horrible @.@

Nerite snails are really cool. PetSmart doesn't sell them, but I bet if you asked, they could order some. Pet Supermarket (if your in the South-ish), will also order them for you, and thats typically how they cary snails, now (order only).

5. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Okay great, thanks. I will start looking around, we have a great lfs in my hometown so maybe I will wait until I can visit that.

As another note, what about a honey gourami instead of a school? I wonder if they would pick on the shrimp.

And the dorm rule is terrible, isn't it! I knew someone who hid his tanks inside cabinets so they wouldn't get taken away.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You can do a Honey, and smaller school ;) I think I had 9 Neons and Honey in my 10 gallon....? Granted, I'm obsessive about my water changes, it had a good filter, I fed only what they could eat, and there were a ton of plants, so that helped a lot. But its certainly doable if you wanted to do that :)

Hahaha! I was at ReptiCon in december, and one of the Bearded Dragon Breeders/Vender was telling me how she raised her bed up, bought a really long blanket and kept a Beardie in her dorm room :;laughing

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would really get yourself going on a nice planted tank, wouldn't take much to get a good one going, I would seriously just add 6 rummy nose tetras, as they are a GREAT indicator for you and have some cool color. When their nose goes pale you have a problem, when its nice and red, they are happy. Put a nerite in there for algae and you'll have a nice tank with some action, could also do a tank of all male guppies of you want some more interaction with your fish. Either way, I am having so much fun with my 10 at my desk, the larger tanks in the house are great but the small ones once you have the theory down are a lot of fun!

8. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

What would you recommend for live plants? I would prefer not to have to get a new light, but I dunno if anything exists that can survive under the light that came with my tank.

I'm thinking now about adding a few shrimp, a few nerites, and maybe the honey. Then possibly a very small school after that. And it'll have the pleco in there for a while, but he's gonna graduate soon enough.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

What light do you have over your tank?

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If you have an incandescent hood (a screwy bulb), just go buy a cheap 10 watt CFL. This is what I use for my incandescent hoods ;)

11. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I bought one of those tetra starter kits that came with the light- not sure about the specs of it anymore. It does say rated for 25 watts max on the inside if that makes a difference.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think they're only rated for 15 watts, unless they've changed them on the past 6 years since I got mine. But a nice 10 or 13 watt CFL will solve all your lighting issues, as well as last about 2-3 times longer than an incandescent bulb.

13. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I've been reading more and found that many people say the tank must be "heavily planted" for the honeys to do well. Frankly I'm nervous about trying out aquatic plants and would prefer to wait until I get my new tank to experiment (in other words, wait to put any fish in until I've gotten the plants to grow for an extended period of time- less stress on me if I know no fish are in jeopardy from any dying plants). So how crucial is this? I have four plastic plants and a small cave like rock fixture, so I was wondering if they'd be content hiding in those.

Also, are they really timid? I've read that they hide constantly but I've also found testimonials that they become quite active once settling in. Additionally, I've seen that they are delicate. I've had poor luck with delicate fish in the past and really don't want to go through losing another fish because I have made a beginner mistake (of course I mean simple beginner mistake, not something so serious as, for instance, forgetting to treat the water for chlorine, which would kill any fish). This is part of why I am bothering you guys with an inordinate amount of questions.

Thanks for any and all patience and advice!

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Plants really are easy, and they will not cause major problems from them dying slightly in the tank provided you dont let them all just rot away in there.

Your tank sounds ok for them thou as it is if you would rather play the waiting game.

Most fish will be timid at first but will usually relax once they get used to the tank and the life surrounding it.

15. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

We've found a solution for MTS - live in a dorm :;laughing

As to the OP, and some stocking solutions, what about Celestial Pearl Danios, or Endlers Livebearers. They're great little schooling fish, and IMO are very attractive :;dk

And plants don't have to be difficult. There a lots of plants that'll do great in that setup.

EDIT: and on the BN Pleco, is it a common pleco, or is it Ancistrus Loricariidae? The latter will do fine in a 10G as they are a smaller species (mine are full grown, and about 2"-2.5", I have two in 18G)

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Nooooo, that makes it worse when you get out!

Yours are small because they're only in an 18 gallon tank. My female is around 5 inches, and still growing. Her father is 8, pushing 9. They don't stay as small as people seem to think they do.

17. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on the species of BN you have. With all due respect(and i cant believe im offering the same advice on 2 different threads consecutively XP) id wait until you get atleast a 20gallon tank and then stock it with more.

18. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

We are stuck now between the honey and some guppies or endlers (we being my boyfriend and me). The fish are for his birthday and he doesn't really want a school of fish that all look identical because he wants to be able to tell each fish apart. We almost got the honey at the store today, but they looked sick.

As for the pleco- I'm pretty sure it's a BN as it looks just like all the other BNs in the lfs, although I suppose the entire tank could be mislabeled. I doubt that, or at the very least seriously hope not. He is at least 5 months old and only about an inch and a half to two, so I'm thinking he's going to stay small. I have been told a lot he's going to need out of the ten, so it's nice to hear he might not. We do kind of want an albino friend for him though haha. And that would definitely require a bigger tank, unless I'm sorely misinformed.

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My girl stayed small for the longest time, then out of no where grew from 2 inches, to 4 inches, and tripled her width. I had her.... 5-6 months before she had they growth spurt.

Its hard to find a nice, healthy looking Honey. Its getting easier to get healthy looks DG's, though. Its weird LOL

20. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

This tank had both honeys and DGs in it, neither looking too fantastic. I'm not so thrilled with petsmart much anymore (now that I know things, lol). We have an amazon LFS where I'm from, unfortunately that's several hours from my school. It's a bummer too because I bet that LFS has ghost shrimp all the time, but both petsmart and petco are always sold out here :p

Also, thanks to everyone offering their opinions and advice. While you don't all agree with each other I like reading the differing viewpoints. I like fishlore very much because it really does help supplement outside research. Plus everyone seems friendly. So thanks again :)