Stocking A Planted Tank - Danio/gudgeon Questions

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm working on converting my old 20 gallon tank to a heavily planted tank. I'm going to tweak the stocking a little as well, and wanted some advice on it. Right now the tank has 3 zebra danios, 1 pearl danio, and 5 neon tetras.
I would like to end up with a mix of 5-7 zebra, leopard and cosmic blue glo danios. I also want to keep a school of 5 neon tetras, and want to get a single peacock gudgeon. I'm planning on trying to add shrimp (ghost and a yet to be determined neocaridina species) when the plants grow in more. According to my AqAdviser results, I'm fine, but pushing it. What do you think? Note: the amount of shrimp is a complete guess. I'll probably start with 10-15, but I'm not psychic enough to know how big the colony will be able to get.
I also had some more specific questions if you don't mind.
First off, the danios. I'll probably let the pearl danio I have live out it's life and never get more. The main reason being I'm not sure how well they usually school with the other danio species I want. The one I have seems completely fine. Pretty sure it took over the zebra danio school actually. I'm just weary of adding random new ones. I might consider it if you think it'll work though.
As far as the zebra, leopard, and glo danios I'm looking at, my understanding is they're all verities of danio rerio so I would assume they would school fine together. Am I correct?
Now the peacock gudgeon. I've never actually kept these, but I want to try. From what I've read, they're not really schooling fish so 1 should do ok on its own. Am I right, or do they prefer at least being in pairs? I know males can be a little aggressive with each other, so if anything I'd try and get a male/female or female/female pair. Which would work best?
And finally, the shrimp. I don't actually have a question on them, I just want to let you know what I'm planning in case you wonder. I know keeping fish and shrimp is always iffy. I'm sure most of the babies will be lunch. I can live with that though. I don't want a ridicules amount of breeding with my setup, so I think the population control will actually be handy. As far as the adults, I'm not worried any of the fish I'm looking at will actually try and eat them. I'm mostly worried about the danios playfully chasing them around, but the danios I've had stay at the top of the tank, and I'm going to have plenty of shrimp hiding places around the bottom so I hope it'll work. I'm planning on starting out with a small group of ghost shrimp and if the sh*t hits the fan, I can move them to my 10 gallon tank and give up on the idea.

Well thanks for reading my semi long winded post, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I'd rather not replace anything in the list I mentioned above if I don't have to, and I'm not going to add anything onto it.
I might, however, end up with cories if the shrimp don't work. I like having bottom feeders in my tanks, However, that one will (hopefully) have a full carpet of monte carlo, or failing that a different carpet plant. I'd assume they'd uproot freshly planted clumps of monte, but do you know if cories can deal with an established carpet plant? Would it just make it hard for them to get around and end up annoying them?
If they can handle the carpet, can you recommend a species in the 2-3 inch range I can keep in a small school (~5) with the danios, tetras, and peacock gudgeon I mentioned above.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom