Stocking A New Aquarium

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just got a 29 gallon tank & this is my first larger sized tank (I've always had 5-10 gallons). Obviously I know I have to cycle the tank before putting anything into the tank. I've bought ammonia & test strips and all that to start that process. However, I just want to start a plan now. I plan on using a few plants (not sure which are best) and my current fish stocking plan is 6 False Julii Cory, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 German Blue Ram, 6 Cardinal Tetras, & 6 Clown Killifish and a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. I know I need to add these slow once my tank is cycled, but how slow and in what order? And are these even good to keep together. I used AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor as a stock calculator. Also, is sand an okay substrate to use with these fish? That's what I'm really leaning towards. Any tips appreciated

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I were to do this, I would add the smallest fish in firsthand allow them to get used to everything, then the bigger ones. Don't add to many fish in at the same time. I think add about 5-6 fish at a time and allow them for 3 hours. You could probably go ahead and add the snail in with the cardinals. I personally use gravel, because the flow of my filter is a little strong. If your filter doesn't have too strong a flow, sand would be fine.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some thoughts on your stocking:
  • Sand is great for your snail and the ram!
  • If the ram is aggressive, he may fight the cories since they both inhabit the bottom portion of the tank. I'm sure it'd be fine if you add lots of plants or areas which break up the line of sight.
  • Same deal with the gourami and clown killifish. My guess is that it'll be fine but there have been cases of that *one* gourami which terrorizes everyone.
  • Keep a tight lid if you keep the clown killifish, they are great jumpers
I'd add one group of fish at a time. Maybe like this: group of tetras, group of cories, group of killifish, then ram and gourami

Sounds like an awesome tank! Good luck!

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ddelpinal said:
Some thoughts on your stocking:
  • Sand is great for your snail and the ram!
  • If the ram is aggressive, he may fight the cories since they both inhabit the bottom portion of the tank. I'm sure it'd be fine if you add lots of plants or areas which break up the line of sight.
  • Same deal with the gourami and clown killifish. My guess is that it'll be fine but there have been cases of that *one* gourami which terrorizes everyone.
  • Keep a tight lid if you keep the clown killifish, they are great jumpers
I'd add one group of fish at a time. Maybe like this: group of tetras, group of cories, group of killifish, then ram and gourami

Sounds like an awesome tank! Good luck!
I was thinking that would be the way to stock. I do plan on adding several plants so hopefully it will work out! Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom