Stocking A New 29 Gallon Tank?

1. _Gherkin_

_Gherkin_ New Member Member

I am new to keeping fish other than feeders from Petco... I have a 29 gallon tank and I am planning on including live plants. Some of the species that I am looking into are platys, cory catfish, and maybe another schooling fish (cardinal tetras?). What are the minimum schooling sizes for these types of fish? Will the tank be overstocked? The tank has to be as peaceful as possible. I have been researching centerpiece fish and I don't know what the best options are. I would like something that is larger than the rest listed and with an attractive look. First and foremost, I need my fish to not harm each other. I've heard that gouramis, angels, bettas, and cichlids work as centerpiece fish; but many of those are notoriously aggressive. Any advice or experiences????

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Platies aren’t schoolers, but can be social, so keeping 2 would be good for them. For cories they have a minimum of 5, but 6 is definitely better. Most other schoolers have a minimum of 5 as well, but some species do better aggression wise if kept in larger groups. This is what I’d suggest, it should be an easy going tank with hardy fish that’ll be good since your new to them-
    8 cherry barbs
    8 panda cories
    2-3 platies(male, females will overrun the tank with fry quickly)
    1 dwarf gourami

The gourami can be aggressive I’d kept with certain fish or certain tanks, but in a tank like this their shouldn’t be any problems. If you’d rather have a cichlid over the gourami, then a Bolivian ram would work. They are typically peaceful to other fish lest breeding and such.