Stocking A Micro Reef Tank

1. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

I am entirely new to saltwater and I wanted to start learning more about it with something small. I decided on a pico reef tank. I have been looking heavily into micro tanks and I was wondering what sort of corals (that preferably don't need super particular light conditions) and/or small creatures I could house in a one gallon tank. I would like some suggestions for small livestock. I plan on custom building the tank, I want to learn about some species before its designed so I can optimize care for the inhabitants. I would love to hear some advice, or any resources you can provide.

Thanks all

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Since you are new to saltwater I would recommend going bigger. It's pretty difficult to keep the right parameters in such a small tank, and saltwater is pretty sensitive to that. I also can't think of any saltwater fish that could live in a one gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

Alright, I am now thinking of going a bit bigger. I think I am going to go with a 5 gallon. I am not quite as concerned with fish so much as coral. Would there maybe be something in the goby family that would "get along" with coral? Also, do you have any recommendations for small coral varieties?

4. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

With a five gallon you might be able to do a neon goby, clown goby or yasha white ray or black ray goby. A candy pistol shrimp would look nice too. Off the top of my head you could certainly do some corals such as mushrooms, ricordia, and button polyps.

5. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed that you will have to keep a close eye on parameters and such for a very small reef tank. That said, there is a beautiful 8 gallon at one of my LFS's that houses exactly this...

Several designer zoanthids... some of the designer color variations have smaller polyps.

Designer clove polyps.. I recognize them to be Liam's clove polyps, though I think Blue Sympodium polyps would do well too. Some polyp varieties are very fast growers though and I wouldn't recommend them because they could easily overtake a small tank.

3 very colorful Rock Flower Anemones, (RFA's)

1 Neon Goby

As mentioned, there are some very colorful and beautiful varieties of mushrooms as well. Please take your time learning about reef tank parameters, live rock vs. dry rock and lighting. Corals are very sensitive to lighting and there's really no way around that if you want them to grow and show their best colors. The spectacular 8g at my LFS has a little Kessil-$$ hanging over it. I think those lights are totally worth it and dream of having a high quality light one day.

Here is a link to my favorite nano tank that is SPS dominated. SPS stands for small polyp stony, these corals are more difficult to care for and are not recommended for beginners. This tank is something maybe to aspire to someday.:)

14gal Nano Reef Build

6. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

I would say not to do that small if a beginner. Bigger the better. If I were you I would atleast do a 20 or 30 gallon. This way if something goes wrong you can catch it sooner. Also it doesn't happen rapidly like in a small nano tank.