Stocking a Mbuna or peacock tank

LeoDiaz

A common question on here is how many African cichlids to stock a tank with, I would give you my advice on how many fish in the most common size tank for them. Will also give what ratios to use etc.
BTW: This is only for Mbunas an Peacocks from lake Malawi. And will only go up 90g in tank size.
Don't mix mbunas and peacocks

Let's Start with tank size, Min tank size for these fish is 55g/48in long. But with dwarf mbunas you can get away with 40 gallon but still recommend a 55g, the bigger the better.

Stockings
40g-

Peacocks
Don't recommend a 40 gallon for them

Mbunas
A species only tank with dwarf mbunas (stay under 4in)
Ratio 1male to 10females for aggressive mbunas like Demasoni. For more "calm" mbunas 1m to 5-6 females.

55g-
Peacocks
Options-all male tank(more colorful) or a species only male and female tank
For male tank- you can have 10-12 5in-6in male peacocks make sure none look alike and you avoid OB an jacobfreibergI Aka jakes peacocks.
Species only- 1male 5/7females choose a species that stays under 6in

Mbunas
Options- 2 species or species only
2 species- 2 types of mbunas that stay 5/6in in a ratio for each species of 1m to 4/5females
Species only-same as peacock above.

75g-

Peacocks
Options-All male or species only(for breeding) or 3 species
All male- 18-20 5in-6in peacocks same rules as a 55g.
Species only-3males to 12females 5/6in fish or 1male 6/7females for aggressive peacocks like jakes.
3 species-3 different species in ratio of 1to 5/6females. Don't put any of aggressive species. And look for species where female don't look alike. But you still run the risk of crossbreeding so if you want to breed an sell fry go with species only.

Mbunas-
Options- 3 species or single species
Species-1male to 7/10females of mbuna species 5/7in big. You can get away with 3males 12 females for species that are more calmer like yellow labs, aceis.
3species-3species that don't look alike an have similar aggression lvls. In ratios of 1m to 5/6females each.

90g-
Stock the same as a 75 gallon but you can get away with adding 2-3 more fish then a 75.

No mixing African cichlids with any that not African and is not suppose to be with them.

And make sure your feeding the proper diet for the fish you have if your not sure if your fish are carnivore,omnivore, herbivores look it up or ask. Improper diet can lead to issue like MalawI bloat.

guthrieb08

good info. x Been looking for something like this for a guide line when I start my 55.

LeoDiaz

good info. x Been looking for something like this for a guide line when I start my 55.

Np, yea this should makes it easier for people to stock tanks.

guthrieb08

Peacocks got me with the random sizes I see on different sizes and LFS. I really like their looks so figured when I do id go that route.

LeoDiaz

Peacocks got me with the random sizes I see on different sizes and LFS. I really like their looks so figured when I do id go that route.

Male peacocks are stunning fish.

LeoDiaz

If anyone has a tank size not mentions above I could make another stocking for your size tank.

LeoDiaz

There the aggressive peacocks if you mix them with all males they will beat the other males up. Those species are better in species only tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sparkles22
Replies
Views
Amatyi1
Replies
Views
fissh
Replies
Views