Stocking a large Tank w/ Tetra ...

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by RPPhoto, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

I've got a large 55gal that recently became avail..... and im looking to stock it with some decnet amount of schooling fish, and the first thing that came to mind, Tetra's

im looking at groups of Tetra's....

Long-Finned Red Minor Tetra
    Long-Finned Black Skirt Tetra
    Long-Finned Blushing White Skirt Tetra
    and possibly the short finned Neon Tetra to add some pep to the tank

aqua-scape will be Hardscape since i love the idea of being minimalistic and functional ...

---Filtration is covered as i have a Aquatop CF-500 UV Cannister and a Penguin 350 (with a 2nd Aquatop in mind to replace the penguin) , also i have a mobile garbage can aka - Common Pleco thats about 6-7 inches....

my question is how large of schools can you go and are recommended ? i would imagine as the fish dont get very large, i could prob get schools of 10 - 20 easily ...

2. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

:sign0016:to Fishlore. Hope you'll find many answers here!

One tetra per gallon. That will be fine.
    As you apparently are well filtered, a shoal of each of the fish you mention will be nice.

3. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

what is considered a nice shoal ... ? like what group sizes ..

4. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Tetras are for the most part shoaling fish. In the wild they make huge shoals of thousands.
    In an aquarium we are limited by tank size and filtering capacity; but generally I'd say the larger the better, taking into consideration the abovementioned limitations.
    You posted four species, all tetras. If you put a shoal of 15 to 20 fish of each, the fish will feel comfortable.
    Maybe you should consider only three species/shoals and perhaps get a centerpiece fish, some cories for the bottom or some hatchets for the surface...

5. 2HeadedBoyValued MemberMember

+1 on the cory suggestion.

6. shelleyd2008Well Known MemberMember

Personally, I think that suggestion would have a very over-stocked tank...several types of tetras get 2"+.

Black Skirt Tetra--2" adult fish
    White Skirt Tetra--2"+ adult fish
    Neon Tetra--up to 1 1/2" adult fish
    Red Minor Tetra--2" adult fish

I know we really shouldn't go by the 1"-per-gallon rule, but even going by that, shoals of 15 fish each with 3 types would be 82.5 to 90 inches of adult fish and shoals of 20 fish each with 3 types would be 110 to 120 inches of adult fish. At most I would have shoals of 10 with 3 types, from what I've read they like to be in shoals of at least 10. With 3 shoals of 10 fish each, you'd still have a bit of room left for some bottom-feeders like corys or loaches.

7. coacoa8506Valued MemberMember

My red minors got even bigger than that. I would maybe go with the neons and the skirts? maybe 7 each. Man you guys really make me want corys

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Personally, i think a tank full of tetras is boring. They all do the same thing...

9. BalloonAngelValued MemberMember

Oh that couldn't be further from the truth. My pristellas are scaredy cats that love to school tightly. They only eat food that falls to them middle of the tank. They also like to mover in circles. My skirts dart to the surface for their food, and are always curious about me when I'm close to the tank. They school off and on. They move from one end of the tank to the other. My neons seem to school often, but loosely. They aren't very scared. They also like to eat food from the top, middle, and bottom.. They also all have different quirks that would take too long to type out. Bottom line is, if you spend enough time observing different types of tetra you will notice little things that will set them all miles apart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice